Texas Hot Links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Had half a chuck roast left over after making some beef stroganoff earlier in the week. Wanted to make some sausage and settled on Texas hot links. Followed Chud BBQ's recipe for the most part, except I cut back on the cayenne by 25% and omitted the turmeric as I didn't have any.

View attachment 655503

I broke the KA grinder attachment grinding the last bit of meat. The locating pin snapped off the body where it indexes on the mixer. Luckily it was still within the Amazon return window, and I was able to leverage that into getting a LEM 1224 and a horizontal stuffer so future batches will be much easier.

View attachment 655491

Chuck cubed and into the freezer, it was 1146g in total.

View attachment 655492
Ready to grind.
View attachment 655495
It was this pin here that snapped off. I was able to finish by tightening down more on the set screw, but it wasn't ideal.

Got the meat ground and spices mixed in and then stuffed into 32mm? Hog casing. No pictures of that process cause I got busy, my hands got dirty and I forgot.
View attachment 655493
Stuffed and ready to go into the fridge overnight.
View attachment 655494
Into some smoke this morning. I had to add the water pan to help keep the temps down. It started full of ice.

View attachment 655502
Afterwards it was into an ice bath to cool off and then most was vac sealed for later, wife decided she didn't want sausage for dinner, but I couldn't help throw one on the grill to taste. Gotta make sure they're fit for human consumption right.
View attachment 655507
And, delicious. Just the right heat level. Hot enough to know its a hot link without heat being all you taste. Definitely on my list to make again.

edit: spelling errors
That looks amazing man, great job!

Yeah dedicated grinder and dedicated stuffer are basically the way to go.
Just know that when you get a stuffer to get one that does a couple pounds more than what your sausage batches normally are. The stuffer capacity is always like 1-2 pounds less than they claim.
If you do 5 pound batches, a 7 pound stuffer will get it done in 1 go. The 5 pound stuffer will cause 2 goes.

It starts to matter as you do more sausage and 1-2 stuffing sessions turn into 5-7 and the time grows a ton with having to fool with casings, reloading, stuffer, making mess, etc.

Reactions: Kvgsqtii
Wow! Those look great! I just ate supper and my mouth is watering looking at the pics! Congrats on the cook and the carousel ride!

Reactions: Kvgsqtii
Man those look good. Another one for the list.
Thanks Brian
Great looking hot links!
Thanks Moto
Mighty good looking sausage. And I like a little heat but not overpowering.

Jim
Thanks! It works best for everyone, plus I can always add some pickled jalapeno or habanero to my plate
Nice looking sausages.
Thanks for the like
That looks amazing man, great job!

Yeah dedicated grinder and dedicated stuffer are basically the way to go.
Just know that when you get a stuffer to get one that does a couple pounds more than what your sausage batches normally are. The stuffer capacity is always like 1-2 pounds less than they claim.
If you do 5 pound batches, a 7 pound stuffer will get it done in 1 go. The 5 pound stuffer will cause 2 goes.

It starts to matter as you do more sausage and 1-2 stuffing sessions turn into 5-7 and the time grows a ton with having to fool with casings, reloading, stuffer, making mess, etc.
Thanks for the like. I'm sure in the future I will want/need to do much more than now. Space is the biggest limiter at our current house. Fridge/freezer space is the big limiter. We are looking to move in a couple years and get out of a neighborhood and back into the country. Plan to have animals and will upgrade equipment accordingly then.
Wow! Those look great! I just ate supper and my mouth is watering looking at the pics! Congrats on the cook and the carousel ride!
Thanks for the like,

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky