Texas Cheesesteak Sammie W/ Adobo Seared Rib Eyes (W/ Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Several of us have been involved in a very animated conversation this past week that has covered a lot of different ideas for different things to try and share with the group. this post is one of them. Somehow yesterday the conversation turned toward Cheesesteak sandwiches. Apparently folks can get pretty opinionated about those so I made this off-the-cuff response that I was gonna make Texas Cheesesteak sammies for dinner. I don't even know where that comment came from but one of the folks came back and asked what exactly is a Texas Cheesesteak? Well, I didn't have an answer so I just said "whatever the Hell I feel like putting on a steak sandwich and I live in Texas". That kinda got the thought processes going. The inspiration was there and I had a plan. One of the folks came back with their interpretation and it exactly mirrored mine. So...here we go

Went and got a couple of rib eye cap steaks out of the freezer
001.jpg

While they were defrosting I cut up a nice little salad
003.jpg

Used some Pennsylvania Dutch Bacon dressing I received from our good friend Joe xray xray
002.jpg

Got some hand cut fries in the Emeril 360 air fryer
004.jpg

Steaks defrosted. Time to rub them down with a guajillo adobo paste that I also received from Joe
006.jpg

Here is the paste I used
005.jpg

Cut up some smoked extra sharp cheddar for the sammies
007.jpg

Got some jalapenos and onions going in a pan with butter
008.jpg

Steaks on the sear burner
010.jpg

Lightly toast the buns
011.jpg

Steak onto the buns
012.jpg

Add jalapenos and onions
013.jpg

Cheddar cheese
014.jpg

Mercy sake, this is looking pretty darned good
015.jpg

And here ya have it. Plated with fries and salad. Two pics
016.jpg

Couldn't get it much better than this I don't think
017.jpg

Well there ya have it folks. If ever there was a Texas style Cheesesteak sandwich, I'd say this was at least a reasonable rendition. The steak was tender, juicy, succulent, and flavorful. The adobo paste added a nice smoky richness and a lot of depth to the flavor. The veggies were perfectly cooked with a nice little tingle from the jalapenos. The smoked cheddar really put it over the top though. Lordy it was good!! I guess this meal was somewhat of a tribute to Joe since he provided all of the stuff for flavorings. That bacon dressing is really good. A tad on the sweet side but I toned that down with a nice dose of black pepper. The fries were done "bone in", which is my reference for not peeling them. They were tossed in a bit of my garlic olive oil and SPOG then cooked at 360 in the air fryer. Absolute perfection as far as fries go. I'm loving this Emeril 360 but need to start thinking about other things to cook in it. The weather has been such that I have been able to cook outside though so that's where most of my stuff has been done recently. Well, time to run. Got the weekend chores pending but thanks for dropping in.

One really good sammie,
Robert

Nice lookin' sammies Robert.

BIG LIKE!

Wonder what an Arizona Cheesesteak would look like?

I have no idea but if anybody could come up with one, I bet you and Sue could do it. This is a real question, not a smart a$$ comment but is there any sort of cactus that's edible and commonly used in cooking? That may be fun....

Robert

Looks delcious Robert. I love adobo as well! I’d make short order of one of those Sammie’s.

Looks delicious. Yep, NOPALES, tasty, crispy Cactus Pads. Shave off the thorns, cut in 1/4" strips and stir fry with the peppers and onions. You should be able to find them in any Mex Grocery...JJ

I’d say you’d had to incorporate cumin, corn and black beans. Maybe also add nopales to the onions and peppers :)

Hmmmm....I wonder if maybe you have planted the seed of inspiration for John. Sounds almost like a steak salad on a bun but I bet it'd be real good!!

We're waiting John,
Robert

Delicious looking meal Robert! I’d gladly trade nachos for a plate of that!!

I’m still hungry for a cheesesteak. Need to remedy that.

I’m kinda surprised you liked the bacon dressing. It is definitely in the sweeter side, and didn’t think it would be in your wheelhouse. I figured sending it would at least give you an idea of what it was before making your own.

It’s good on wilted greens. Although I enjoy it most of all as a warm potato salad.

Likes all around!

Hey Robert,
Your Texas Cheesesteak looks Great.
Very Tasty!!---->>Like.
As for your "PA Dutch Wos Wits Hot Bacon Dressing", We've been making our own since about 3 generations ago with Both of our Families---Awesome Stuff, and our's tastes just like what "Wos-Wits" makes.

Here is all about it---I posted this 6 years ago:
Hot Bacon Dressing (Pennsylvania Dutch)

Bear

This is a real question, not a smart a$$ comment but is there any sort of cactus that's edible and commonly used in cooking? That may be fun
Looks delicious. Yep, NOPALES, tasty, crispy Cactus Pads. Shave off the thorns, cut in 1/4" strips and stir fry with the peppers and onions. You should be able to find them in any Mex Grocery...JJ
My local store carries Fresh:
download.jpeg.jpg
They also have this in most Hispanic sections of the grocery store.
images.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Looks good Robert. Quite a bit different then what I get up here. Folk up here use shaved or thinly sliced beef. But I bet that sammie rocked!

It certainly doesn't look like any cheesesteak sanny I've ever had Robert, but it sure looks better than any cheesesteak I've ever had. Like, RAY

Delicious looking meal Robert! I’d gladly trade nachos for a plate of that!!

I’m still hungry for a cheesesteak. Need to remedy that.

Thanks Joe and sorry to be so late getting back to the party. These were some really good sammies, that's for sure!!

I’m kinda surprised you liked the bacon dressing. It is definitely in the sweeter side, and didn’t think it would be in your wheelhouse.

As a general rule I probably wouldn't go out of my way for the dressing due to the sweetness for a lot of the salads we do but I certainly see a lot of merit in the dressing for a number of applications. We don't like our salads heavily dressed so there is only a small amount of dressing plus there is a bit of bitterness in the veggies that balanced out the dressing. A nice dose of black pepper helped, but black pepper helps a whole bunch of things...no matter what it is :emoji_wink:

I'm giving serious consideration to making a small batch of Cole slaw using the dressing to see how it comes out. I think it may be really good. Worst case I could tame the sweetness with a dash of spicy vinegar.

Robert

Hey Robert,
Your Texas Cheesesteak looks Great.
Very Tasty!!---->>Like.

Thank you Bear!! They ain't your prime rib but they sure were good!!

As for your "PA Dutch Wos Wits Hot Bacon Dressing", We've been making our own since about 3 generations ago with Both of our Families---Awesome Stuff, and our's tastes just like what "Wos-Wits" makes.

You may have originally posted it back then but it was also posted a lot more recently...like a couple months back I saw it in a thread....and bookmarked it :emoji_wink: Joe was just gracious enough to send some as a sample before I put it in the regular rotation.

Thank you for the LIKE sir!!
Robert

Sorry I am late to the party Robert. Completely over looked this thread. Looks like I missed some good cooks over the weekend. Your cheesesteak looks outstanding. I really like the layers of flavor you added with the jalapenos and smoked cheddar. Steaks looks like they were cooked perfectly too. As always nice job my friend!

Looks good Robert. Quite a bit different then what I get up here. Folk up here use shaved or thinly sliced beef. But I bet that sammie rocked!

Thanks Steve!! You know me, I'm not one to follow the rules most of the time :emoji_laughing: I've made the mistake of ordering cheeseteaks in restaurants a few times and always came away underwhelmed. The concept was sound but the application sucked. Steak is always well done, which I hate. Veggies were always cooked to mush, which I hate. One had this slime they called cheese that looked like Cheese Whiz. I'd say they got the "whiz" part right as far as flavor goes but the cheese was certainly NOT on point. The other couple had provolone cheese, which is standard I believe. That stuff melts beautifully but has little or no flavor so it's mot bringing a lot to the party. I figured that if I was gonna make one I might as well do it the way I wanted it done.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky