Texas beef smoked sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here is Aaron Franklin's Hot Links:

He does not give out the exact weights of the seasonings used, but he shows you what goes in it. You should be able to dial it in from there.

"Let the Good Smoke Roll!"

Last edited:
Interesting video you posted Indaswamp. I find it odd that he goes from cubed meat, right into the casing without any mixing. I also find it odd that he stuffed with a grinder.

Interesting video you posted Indaswamp. I find it odd that he goes from cubed meat, right into the casing without any mixing. I also find it odd that he stuffed with a grinder.
If you look close at the 2:37mark in the video, he does have what appears to be a 1/4" plate in the grinder. This was a demonstration video filmed at his home, I would be surprised if he does not have professional equipment at his restaurant.

I saw the plate, I guess what i was trying to say is he doesn't do any mixing by hand to develope a bind. But thanks again for sharing it, I might try making it some time.

Last edited:
Poke-Jo's is basically a beef sausage with some black pepper in it.

From the reading and sausage making I do, the "café grind" or 16 sieve black pepper and kosher salt performs better than anything else I have worked with.

I like you am working on a copy cat from another sausage maker in this area. You will become a lot more scale-able in your recipe if you convert to the percent ratio on all your measurements. The percent conversion is painful at first but the more I use it the easier it is to alter and "tune" a recipe. Lastly if you seem to be unable to get it just right, try some pork in the mix, the concoction I am working on (and have been for a couple years) is 80% beef and 20% pork, both meats are fresh ground, I usually use boston butt and chuck roast, nothing tastes as good as fresh ground. Good Luck, keep your experimental batches small and you will get there and also learn why no one completely gives the recipe up!!

Thanks, salt didn't even cross my mind. 1 teaspoon of kosher salt enough? I will take your advise on the smoker, as it makes more sense.
You can shoot for a 2% salt ratio and that should be perfect. So for 1000g of meat, add 20g of salt. Add a little less if you use monosodium glutamate in the recipe. MSG is 60% less salty than pure table salt.

Conversions to remember-

454g = 1 pound

28.35g = 1 ounce

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm getting back to this after a small heart problem (it quit working for a spell) and a knee replacement, let's just say 2017 wasn't a good year. I will keep updating as I go, again thanks to all.

Darrell

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky