Testing out the PartyQ with a Naked Turkey Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
I decided to test out my new BBQ-Guru PartyQ and smoked a naked turkey breast.

Loaded the 14.5" WSM with Kingsford Pro and a couple hunks of apple wood. Used my little Camp Maid folding charcoal starter to fire up 5 briquettes. Set the PartyQ to 285°f and let the party begin. Took just under 8 minutes for the lit charcoal to be ready to dump into the fire basket. The PartyQ had the smoker up to 285°f in 15 minutes. I let the smoker run for another 15 minutes then added the turkey. Temp dropped 15 degrees as expected when adding cold meat to the a smoker. The temp ramped right back up to 285°f within 5 minutes. I left it to be, monitoring both the turkey and pit temp with my Meater+ therm. Everything matched up nicely and chugged along with no issues. Took 3 1/2 hours to hit 165°f. Wrapped the bird in foil then left to go meet some friends for our weekly trivia game we play at one of our food truck lots and tap house. Came back home a couple hours later and made a fantastic smoked turkey sandwee!!

Removed the skin and seasoned the bird with SPOG. Of course I boiled down the neck, skin for stock. Thinking I'll need gravy for a blue plate hot turkey sandwee.

49012192308_5b81b74b2f_c.jpg

Setting up for the minion method.

49012925392_edde7b6200_c.jpg

Five briquettes almost ready to join the unlit ones in the fire basket.

49012924142_144931475d_c.jpg

Lets do this!

49012187583_88753bea43_c.jpg

Here we go!

49012923227_63d65cf3be_c.jpg

Done!

49012715611_052bc6e4ee_c.jpg

YUMM!!!!

49012920867_44bec8a0e3_c.jpg

Toasted dill rye, mayo, Guldens, black pepper, tomato, spinach.

49012713596_3567b5e581_c.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!

By golly that's a turkey sandwee I could get my chompers around! Great cook with the mini/guru! I think everyone should have one...

By golly that's a turkey sandwee I could get my chompers around! Great cook with the mini/guru! I think everyone should have one...

The guru should be nice when the temps drop. Weather was moderate so I could have gone without. I did notice that the fuel consumption was more. The Kingsford Pro may have also contributed to that too. It seems to burn faster than KBB. Guess I need to do some more testing...

I cant say I've noticed a fuel consumption difference. But I haven't really paid that close of attention. Its not like we are talking any significant amount as small and efficient as the mini is anyway.

My only DAMHIK caution with using the Party-Q is... (and this should seem obvious)… Don't leave the Party-Q hooked up when you shut the smoker down and close all vents as you normally would. It should have a silicone cap it came with to plug the port. I've had reverse-flow situation happen to me and got the fan a bit toasty.

I cant say I've noticed a fuel consumption difference. But I haven't really paid that close of attention. Its not like we are talking any significant amount as small and efficient as the mini is anyway.

My only DAMHIK caution with using the Party-Q is... (and this should seem obvious)… Don't leave the Party-Q hooked up when you shut the smoker down and close all vents as you normally would. It should have a silicone cap it came with to plug the port. I've had reverse-flow situation happen to me and got the fan a bit toasty.

Yep I pulled the unit off and used the silicone cap to when I was done cooking.

Great looking breasts!!! so looking forward to smoked turkey!

I think you will come to love the PARTY-Q. buy some rechargeable batteries and you will be golden for a very long cook!

I found the WSM used less fuel over the long haul for sure. I used the PARTY-Q on a 14.5 as well. Enjoy!

Great looking breasts!!! so looking forward to smoked turkey!

I think you will come to love the PARTY-Q. buy some rechargeable batteries and you will be golden for a very long cook!

I found the WSM used less fuel over the long haul for sure. I used the PARTY-Q on a 14.5 as well. Enjoy!

Thank you. Yep as soon as the batteries that came with the unit are done I'll be switching to rechargable. That's what I run in my Meater units.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky