1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Test run on my home built cold smoker

Discussion in 'Fish' started by West coast island smoker, Jan 28, 2019.

1. IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0652.JPG have not being on site for some time due to the fact I finally got my smoker out of my garage and in place outside in yard. I'm doing a couple test runs before I try with my fish. I'm going to be putting in my first run tomorrow morning , so should know pretty soon if I have waisted a lot of time building a smoker. I will post a few pictures and a short video. Please feel free to comment, and I will update on my first run.

2. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Beautiful job on the smoker.... The hinges are killer.... Did you make them ?????
    Lets see the smoker in operation... 1popcorn.gif ....

3. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

That is a great looking smoker.

4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice job on that build. Looks like it will put out many a good smokes.

Chris

5. Bigtank

Bigtank Smoke Blower

Holy Cow! That's beautiful! What kind of wood did you use? Your wood working skills are amazing.

6. weedeater

weedeater Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wow! That is a great looking smoker. Can’t wait to hear about its inaugural run.

Weedeater

7. ravenclan

ravenclan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

That is great !!!! One heck of a smoker and one heck of a build!!

8. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is a fine looking smoker!
    Al

9. Yes made the hinges myself, tried to send a video but was having problems, smoker is running now with three spring salmon that I caught in summer. Will take a video of it and send out tonight.

10. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Wow, excellent work. That is a thing of beauty.

12. Western red cedar , timber was from my property, friend milled it for me , and the rest is what you see .

13. Thank you , I hope it works as good as it looks. It's smoking my first run of spring salmon now , so we will soon know, thanks again for your comments.

14. sir, that smoker is work of art of meat smoking true beleiver.. my hat off to you ..

15. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

You should sell them. Im sure plenty of people would part w/ $ for one of those.

dernektambura likes this.
  16. DocSteve

DocSteve Fire Starter

Just curious, could you give an estimate on cost invested?

17. DocSteve I agree. ..he should sell them... beautiful design...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  18. Thanks for your comments, I've being on a almost non stop smoking for the last three days , being fun where having quite the weather . Between the 50 mile hour winds, the snow and consistent lower temperatures for us it's being a good test for the smoker and getting the consistent heat that you want, but all seems to be working well. For the cost of the smoker, hard to put a number to it, material wise other than the lumber which was my own from property, and no cost to mill it, I would say $1500.00 in material only. Cost of materials where I live is high compared to the U.S. Labor that's other thing, way to many hours spent, Im sure it would go quicker the second time, but not in a rush to start other one yet. Thanks again for your guys post, enjoy!!!

Attached Files:

19. In all the pictures the smoker is running. The last picture was about 1/2 hour ago where I dug path out to it. Right now there are 15 sockeye salmon in it running a cold smoke. The other pictures of the fish was after a hot smoke. Would send video but I can't seem to download it. Hope you enjoy the pictures as I'm enjoying smoking finally. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

fivetricks and ravenclan like this.
  20. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Beautiful pictures.... The fish looks very much worth eating.... Wish I was there..