Teriyaki Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tag0401

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 5, 2018
Elgin SC
Happy Tuesday everyone!! Looking for a good Teriyaki sauce recipe like what you would put on fried party wings. I have tried a few store bought but it’s just not close to what I like from my favorite wing joint. Thanks in advance!!

I use equal parts of soy sauce, sake, and mirin. To that I'll add about half of a part of sugar or honey. Put it all in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and stir constantly until thickened. It also can be thickened with 2 parts water to 1 part corn starch mixed together and added while cooking. I'll add sesame seeds or hot sauce/cayenne pepper to taste or more honey for added sweetness. Just taste and adjust, all just depends what kind of mood I'm in.

But if you like theirs at the wing place, ask them what they use. Chances are good that they get it from a food service company ready to use.

I use equal parts of soy sauce, sake, and mirin. To that I'll add about half of a part of sugar or honey. Put it all in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and stir constantly until thickened. It also can be thickened with 2 parts water to 1 part corn starch mixed together and added while cooking. I'll add sesame seeds or hot sauce/cayenne pepper to taste or more honey for added sweetness. Just taste and adjust, all just depends what kind of mood I'm in.

But if you like theirs at the wing place, ask them what they use. Chances are good that they get it from a food service company ready to use.
I asked, “trade secret” is what they said

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
I don't have a recipe for you but this stuff is absolutely delicious. Has sesame seeds in it. Slight pineapple. It ain't your everyday Kikkoman's. Got it at Kroger
IMG_20210720_192625.jpg

The post by Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke is an authentic basic Teriyaki.
The recipe below is not traditional Japanese Teriyaki, but the additional ingredients make it tasty. If you don't have all the ingredients, add what you have. The Soy Sauce, Mirin/Wine, Sugar and Vinegar, are the most important components...JJ

Teriyaki Marinade

1C Soy Sauce, Kikkoman is best.
1/2C Mirin, see Note*
1/4C Brown Sugar
2T Rice Vinegar, or Wine Vinegar
1T Sriracha, or 1/2tsp Cayenne (optional)
1T Minced Garlic, 1tsp Dry Granulated
1T Minced Ginger, 1tsp Ground.
2ea Minced Scallion, or 1T dry Onion Flakes, or 1tsp Granulated Onion
1tsp Sesame Oil

Combine all and Marinate meat 2 to 4 hours. A Ziplock bag with air removed gives best contact.

That's the best teriyaki sauce on the planet, been using for 20 years. $6.99 a bottle at Sam's Club, I just restocked last week. RAY

Reactions: tag0401
Yoshida's looks promising. Gonna check that out! I like teriyaki but have basically gave up on trying to make it but it has been awhile. chef jimmyj chef jimmyj looks spot on if I were to give it a go. It has the oriental essentials, garlic, ginger, and green onion. My friends that have restaurants have told me their hacks and almost all do a slight doctor or mix of store bought. When I think of "teriyaki wings" I envision a mix of teriyaki and sweet and sour or maybe a shot of ketchup but not straight.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Compared to many other styles of Asian Cuisine, Japanese is simplified. A very few high quality ingredients and let the meat and vegetables stand on their own. I guess if you are paying 30,000 ¥, $272 a pound for A5 KOBE BEEF, you are not going to marinate it with Garlic, Ginger, and Sesame Oil!😆
I have heard folks here sing the praises of Yoshida's but the price is very high for what it is...JJ

Reactions: sawhorseray
I have heard folks here sing the praises of Yoshida's but the price is very high for what it is...JJ

The Amazon price must be some kind of a screw-up Chef. It's $6.99 for a 86 ounce bottle at Sam's Club, they raised the price a buck 6-7 years back. It's all we use, fantastic marinade, works great in stirfry too! RAY

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks guys but there is no Sam's or Costco within a hundred miles of my location. Amazon lists it at $12 to $22 plus shipping. OUCH! For that kind of money, it has to make me Smile on the way In and Tickle on the way Out!...JJ☺

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
WOW! Thank you very much. I am honored...JJ☺

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky