Tennis racquet sweetbreads...lol

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario...
Saturday late afternoon snack....
BBQ-ed sweetbreads and beer...
20210807_193855_HDR.jpg
20210807_193904.jpg
20210807_193911_HDR.jpg

dernektambura, your post made me do some research. My in-laws refer to the loin of a deer as the tenderloin, and refer to the tenderloins as sweetbreads. Other than that, I wasn't familiar with the term "sweetbreads". Thanks for the opportunity to be educated. Looks delicious!

Reactions: dernektambura
And you didn't invite me over because why? Lol! Looks tasty, I sure would have joined ya!

Ryan

Looks good. And I can see simple grilling bringing out the flavor nicely. I Only had them once when I was Teaching. I was calling in a meat order and my Butcher said they had just processed a few head of Veal and the owner didn't them. I poached them in a Court-Boullion and pressed them overnight to firm up. Next day, Sauteed them with Shallots and a little Fresh Thyme. Made a Merlot Pan Sauce to top them. The Texture, Marshmallow is a great description 😆, took a minute to adjust too, but the Flavor was outsatanding!...JJ

My in-laws refer to the loin of a deer as the tenderloin, and refer to the tenderloins as sweetbreads. Other than that, I wasn't familiar with the term "sweetbreads". Thanks for the opportunity to be educated. Looks delicious!

When I moved to PA from NJ, I had an invite to a friend house for, "Grilled Fish", sounds good to me. Get there and my buddy is putting pieces of Red Meat on the grill. I said I thought we were having Fish. He replied that we are, Venison Fish, the Tenderloins, you know, the meat below the " Backstraps " This City Boy was so confused.😆...JJ

When I moved to PA from NJ, I had an invite to a friend house for, "Grilled Fish", sounds good to me. Get there and my buddy is putting pieces of Red Meat on the grill. I said I thought we were having Fish. He replied that we are, Venison Fish, the Tenderloins, you know, the meat below the " Backstraps " This City Boy was so confused.😆...JJ
That's too funny! I'll have to remember that!

Ryan

dernektambura, your post made me do some research. My in-laws refer to the loin of a deer as the tenderloin, and refer to the tenderloins as sweetbreads. Other than that, I wasn't familiar with the term "sweetbreads". Thanks for the opportunity to be educated. Looks delicious!
Thymus gland are most delicious food you can taste but it is PITA to clean and prepare it for cooking... It comes from young calfs and lambs...
As calf matures, these glands start shrinking in size and change in texture so its important to get it from calfs at young stage...
Also, it's a "risky food" in terms of being classified as cholesterol "bomb" but all tasty food are risky...right..😁

It's Sunday and continuation of weekend cookout..
Woke up at 6 am and setup piglet hind leg on bbq spit roast... Last thursday bought 32 lb hanging weight piglet and this is about 5 lb portion of...
Its gonna take about 4 to 4.5 hrs to get it done at 135 deg C.... Dripping tray filled with mix of olive oil/beer/ water and later on filled with potatoes for "out of this world" creamy addition... + "Russian salad" as side dish...
Will report back...😁
20210808_083120_HDR.jpg

Your setup is awesome dernektambura dernektambura , what a spot you’ve made. Is that a charcoal searing station to left of gasser bbq?

I used to be a slaughter man , while we worked lads would cut the lamb sweat bread out while working on the line. Then throw it into our sterilisers (boiling tubs of water) , cook and eat while working, I tried them a few times like that, weren’t real good.

Excellent setup! I don't recall ever trying sweetbreads. Those look good enough to eat to me and wish I could try them. I'll bring some more beer and some pickled eggs!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky