TenderQuick to Cure Jerkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slots

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Frederick, Maryland
Hello, 

I am now entering the world of curing meats without a pre-measured packet and was wondering if i could use TenderQuick to to make my own dry cure for Jerky.  I would like it to look like the picture below (Which is made with Cabelas Smokehouse Jerky Seasoning).  Any help with if/how much are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, you can use TQ to dry cure Jerky.

I have seen Mortons suggest two different ways:

One way is to use half a TBS per pound, and marinate overnight. Then rinse.

The other (in my Morton's book) is to use one TBS, and marinate for one hour. Then rinse.

Both of these would also include 1 tsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of CBP, and 1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder.

The pieces would be sliced about 1/2" X 1 1/2" in Morton's book.

Should be smoked (cooked) to at least 145* IT. Morton's says to 160*, but my book is from when the USDA changed it.

Bear

Yes you can. For whole meat use one level Tablespoon per pound of sliced meat strips plus spices. I try to do no more then two pounds of jerky per bag so it blends easily and I can squish the bag every now and then. Usually I let it cure 2 to 3 days.

For ground meat jerky use one and one half level teaspoons per pound of meat plus spices. Let cure 2 to 3 days, mixing each day.

Thanks Bear, i appreciate the info.  I would probably marinate overnight like i do now to make sure i get the flavor into the meat.  Would it be ok at that point to basically dry the meat out as opposed to cooking it, i try to run my smoker at about 140 to 150 and let it go until the jerky is almost black (i like my jerky tough)?

Thanks Bear, i appreciate the info.  I would probably marinate overnight like i do now to make sure i get the flavor into the meat.  Would it be ok at that point to basically dry the meat out as opposed to cooking it, i try to run my smoker at about 140 to 150 and let it go until the jerky is almost black (i like my jerky tough)?
The overnight would be my choice of the two also.

Whatever smoking method you used before should be fine. If it's not pink inside, it would be done enough. Kinda hard to temp probe a skinny piece of meat anyway.

Bear

i've stopped using tender quick in whole meat jerky (which is sad since i have like 6lbs of the stuff). I just marinate with my spices and some teryaki or soy sauce overnight and then smoke/dehydrate. I go thru the jerky quick enough that I don't need it to last for months.

i've stopped using tender quick in whole meat jerky (which is sad since i have like 6lbs of the stuff). I just marinate with my spices and some teryaki or soy sauce overnight and then smoke/dehydrate. I go thru the jerky quick enough that I don't need it to last for months.
The TQ really isn't just for making it last a long time. It's actually so you can smoke it to 140* IT in more than 4 hours.

If you are going to get it from 40* to 140* IT in less than 4 hours, it isn't needed, unless you want the cured "Dried Beef" flavor.

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks bear thats good to know, I'll have to give it another try as I have a lot of it. The first time i made jerky I used it, haven't really noticed a difference not using it except for less salt. But I might not had rinsed the first batch well enough.

Thanks bear thats good to know, I'll have to give it another try as I have a lot of it. The first time i made jerky I used it, haven't really noticed a difference not using it except for less salt. But I might not had rinsed the first batch well enough.
If you use TQ, make sure you get rid of any other salt in your marinade.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky