Tenderising help for Flat Iron

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Background, wife still says the grilled meat is chewy. Yeah I know, this steak is really quite tender. Regardless, I need some help on how to further tenderise a 2 lb Flat Iron steak without masking the meat's natural flavor. Cooking method to date has always been simple salt & pepper plus a light dusting of garlic powder, let it rest for 45 min on the counter then grill for a maximum of 8 min resulting in a great med-rare .

for tough cuts marinate for only a couple hours with fresh pineapple and/or mango juice. It must be fresh and not canned, this breaks down the fibers.

If you have a jaccard needle tenderizer that will help as well.

I grilled flat iron steaks tonight. I used Lawry's and cbp. Grilled for 9min total and rested for 5min. Was perfect med rare, tender and juicy. Are you slicing across the grain?
for tough cuts marinate for only a couple hours with fresh pineapple and/or mango juice. It must be fresh and not canned, this breaks down the fibers.

Without question I always cut across grain. Very familiar with the tenderizing nature of both pineapple and mango but their use will significantly change the flavor which I do not want. Good steak should always taste like good steak. Only concern I have using a jaccard would be opening up this thin cut to a point that attempting to keep it med-rare might be an issue. Have you used one on a Flat Iron in the past?

At the risk of over simplifying have you tried Adolph's meat tenderizer? It adds a little saltiness, but works. The Mrs. makes me put it on all steaks, except mine, lol. But it does work without adding unwanted flavor.

I have one I got to get cut up today! I cut into chunks, freeze than grate into marinade. I don't really notice any flavor from it.

Attachments

• 20220412_051232.jpg
    20220412_051232.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: clifish
At the risk of over simplifying have you tried Adolph's meat tenderizer? It adds a little saltiness, but works. The Mrs. makes me put it on all steaks, except mine, lol. But it does work without adding unwanted flavor.
Yeah, I keep forgetting about that. Will have to reduce the usual amount of salt sprinkling to compensate. Now to figure out by how much. Thanks!

Reactions: MJB05615
Really appreciate all the feedback folks. If Flat Irons were generally thicker, the SV followed by a Hot Sear might work. As they are, I barely get to make sear marks on them, usually only 2 min per side and 1-2 min on the third flip to yield a med-rare. Guess the next go around I'll revisit using Adolphs. Been a long time since I've used it but worth a shot with this somewhat thin cut of meat.

Really appreciate all the feedback folks. If Flat Irons were generally thicker, the SV followed by a Hot Sear might work. As they are, I barely get to make sear marks on them, usually only 2 min per side and 1-2 min on the third flip to yield a med-rare. Guess the next go around I'll revisit using Adolphs. Been a long time since I've used it but worth a shot with this somewhat thin cut of meat.

I would go with Sous Vide first.
Then if you're worried you won't get sear time, because it's so thin, put the bag right into Ice immediately from the SV. Get it nice & cold, and you'll be grilling it just like a cold, fresh, raw steak from your Fridge.

Bear

Reactions: schlotz
I try to cut at a slight angle instead of straight down. Especially if I feel the meat might be a little tuff. This is workable even for steak.

Maybe try a meat hammer/mallet? (My mom used one a lot.)
Slicing thinner?

A follow up since this thread was started. It came down to two things. First the meat itself. I've found a more consistent supplier and for me that was the difference. The flat irons now are great and I'm back to how I always prepared them. Now the wife, well that is an ongoing struggle. As age has continued her acceptability for anything other than a filet has diminished considerably. Solution again was simple. She gets a filet and I get the Flat Iron. Gotta keep mommy happy :emoji_sunglasses:

A follow up since this thread was started. It came down to two things. First the meat itself. I've found a more consistent supplier and for me that was the difference. The flat irons now are great and I'm back to how I always prepared them. Now the wife, well that is an ongoing struggle. As age has continued her acceptability for anything other than a filet has diminished considerably. Solution again was simple. She gets a filet and I get the Flat Iron. Gotta keep mommy happy :emoji_sunglasses:
Happy wife happy life haha

Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky