Temperature stalled at 144*

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Biggy1

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
Houston Texas
I smoked some pork and beef sausage with cure#1 and I had no problem @ 120* 1hr. to dry 140* 1 hr.smoke ,160* 1 hr. smoke & 165* trying for 152* but it stalled at 144* I put them in the refrigerator to cook in hot bath tomorrow will I have any problems?

B1, Is your sausage a summer sausage or snack stick type ? Are you planning on eating it cold or will you be grilling ,frying etc. 142 is fine if you plan on cooking it at a later date.

Reactions: Biggy1
B1, Is your sausage a summer sausage or snack stick type ? Are you planning on eating it cold or will you be grilling ,frying etc. 142 is fine if you plan on cooking it at a later date.
I'm planning on grilling some and boiling a couple of links for breakfast.

I never finish mine in the smoker. Too unpredictable and time consuming. When I have the smoke desired, say five hours, then I finish in the over, which is more even temperatured than my MES. I don’t even monitor my temps anymore in the smoker. With my final smoker stage set at 165 I’m always under my target temp anyway. Into the oven and every rack gets a temp probe at that point. Hitting my final temp without overcooking is my goal.

I smoked some pork and beef sausage with cure#1 and I had no problem @ 120* 1hr. to dry 140* 1 hr.smoke ,160* 1 hr. smoke & 165* trying for 152* but it stalled at 144* I put them in the refrigerator to cook in hot bath tomorrow will I have any problems?

It simply takes a while for sausage to hit an IT of 152F when the smoker is at 165F. It seems that meat in the smoker doesn't like to get within 15 degrees of the smoker temp for a loooong time.
When I do sausage from feral hogs I have to get an IT of 165F to make sure any microscopic parasites would be killed. I have to slowly up my smoker temp to 180F to do this. I don't get any fat out. You just have to walk it up properly.

In your case you may have been better off walking the smoker temp up safely to 170F.

Many will smoke and then vac seal and sous vide or hot water bath to their sausage to QUICKLY hit their desired IT.

Just plan for sausage smokes to take 8+ hours at and you will see you can hit your 152F :)

I hope this info helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky