• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Temperature differences?

Mike

Joined Jun 14, 2020
Good morning - I'm using a book which generally recommends a smoker temp of 225F and an internal temp of 165F.

On recommendation, I purchased a second book, "Smokin" by Myron Mixon. His recommendations for smoking appear to be much higher; for example for a brisket, he recommends a smoker temp of 350F and an ending internal temp of 205F.

Any idea why such a difference in approaches? Is one better than the other? Thanks, Mike

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
IT varies by meat type and cut. When I cook steak, I go for an IT of about 120 - 125 F, when I cook brisket or pork, I am usually shooting for an IT in the 200 degree F range. When I cook chicken or turkey, I am looking for an IT of 165 F, when I am smoking sausage, an IT of 155 F is sufficient.

As far as temp goes, for normal smoking, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, I go with a solid 250 F

For poultry I will adjust the temp based upon how I want the skin to turn out.

For sausage, I usually ramp the temperature up over the course of a few hours but don't ever go over 200 F

If you want to cook fast and hot, you can use that method as well but it is less forgiving.

Hope this helped a bit.

JC :emoji_cat:

schlotz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
There are many ways to smoke and most are personal preferences. The type of equipment and fuel used can also dictate the amount of smoke generated and what temps can be achieved.

You don't mention what type of meat you are intending to smoke re: IT of 165º. Generally pork butts are the most forgiving. You can smoke them anywhere from a grate temp of 225º-350º. The only variables will be the amount of time it takes and the above. BTW: butts (approx 9#s) usually are done somewhere around 200-205º. Briskets are trickier, they are leaner and time is needed to render the internal collagen. Packers can run anywhere from 9#-23# before trimming. Here too, they can be successfully smoked at different temps, high & fast or low & slow. Time and temps are ONLY GUIDELINES, each piece of meat can be different. EX) I've had briskets get done anywhere from 195º to 210º. Knowing how to test for doneness is the key.

wild west

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2016
Hi Mike. As you have found by these books that there is a wide range in opinions how to produce good bbq and there is no right or wrong way if you are happy with the results . 225 is a more traditional temp for smoking but in my opinion 165 finish internal temp is only good for chicken. It's too low to make a tough cut of meat tender and too high for a tender cut of meat as it will be well done. Mixons temp of 350 is definitely on the high end of the temp range but will get the cook done quick. Most folks would cook at a lower temp. His finish temp of 205 is a good average for brisket but probing for tenderness starting around 195 will yield better results as every brisket is different and will finish at different internal temps. Try different methods and settle on what works for you.

Chasdev

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 18, 2020
I'm hot and fast all the way on briskets, starting at 250 for two/three hours then 350 until the end.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
Yes to Mike to let us know what type of meat are we talking about? Also, what type of smoker are we using?

offsetNick

Joined Jul 3, 2020
Good morning - I'm using a book which generally recommends a smoker temp of 225F and an internal temp of 165F.

On recommendation, I purchased a second book, "Smokin" by Myron Mixon. His recommendations for smoking appear to be much higher; for example for a brisket, he recommends a smoker temp of 350F and an ending internal temp of 205F.

Any idea why such a difference in approaches? Is one better than the other? Thanks, Mike
Im guessing the 165F was a wrap temp for collagen packed meats
250-275F is my avg cooking temp for most meats
195-205F collagen packed meats are melted

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.