temp problems help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mmike032

Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
i have a brinkman smoker.not sure what model come from wal mart and is square. ecb maybe .anyway i have used it about 5 times and have problems getting temp right. I tried drilling holes in bottom of charcoal pan and havent noticed much difference. I t takes about an hour to get up to 200 nearly impossible to keep it around 225 constant. Any of you expert smokers out there give some advice on what i need to do. PLEASE HELP

Hey guy ... welcome to SMF! When you get a chance, go to Roll Call and introduce yourself, so that we can give you a proper welcome.

I have the same kind of smoker and the same problem, so I converted mine to propane. If you are interested in what I used, just let me know.

Again welcome ...
icon_cool.gif

Welcome Mike -

Sounds like a Brinkman Vertical. Square box with a front door? Is this the charcoal , electric or propane model?

I had the same trouble, I built a plywood 3 sided sheild four foot high for mine and it works great. I now can get it up to 250 to 275 if I'm not careful. Alos my first chimmney of charcoal will now last 3 - 4 hours

right now i am having the same problem....i am using a char broill smoker,,the same idea as the cheap brinkmann.i just cant get the temp over 200..i added coal thinking that would work but i wont,,,,,i am hoping that since the thermometer is mounted in the lid,the cooking temp at the grate is hotter...this is my first pork butt....can it cook at 200

Get an external thermometer to monitor the grate temperature. The maverick ET-73 is a popular one as it has two probes; one for monitoring the the cooking surface temp. (it clips on to the grate) and the other monitors the food.

It will cook at 200º but will take more time of course. That is why I converted mine to propane ... I can work as low as 150º and I have had it up to 350º and I know it could go higher if needed. Some folks have done some modifications to make the charcoal work better. Not sure now where I saw that thread though.
Hope that helps you ...

the temp came up as the day progressed,,,,i think i had too much water in the water bowl.or maybe the water just needed a long time to heat up.....anyway the whole thing worked out and i had a bunch of happy guests at my house............thanks for the help everyone

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky