Temp controllers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

georgew

Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
I'd like a temperature controller for my Brinkman electric and don't have the wherewithall to build one. Can any of you electrical wizards recomend a device that'll do the trick? Radio Shack carries all sorts of neat electrical stuff and maybe they have something.

The easiest thing to do (and cheapest), is to go buy a singleburner hotplate, and replace your brinkmann element (donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t throw away). I just set the hotplate on an inverted clay saucer and run the cord out the hole. By the way try to get at least a 1200 watt hotplate…a 700 watt wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t let you get much above 150°, remember that water dish is to cool down smoker temp or rig up a damper on top to release some of that pent-up smoke and heat! Good luck
wink.gif

Novel idea, Carl! How do you adjust the heat if the knob is inside the base of the smoker?

I'm hoping for the convenience of a temperature adjustment knob that's outside the smoker.

I face the hotplate toward your door and by putting the hotplate on the clay saucer, you can reach in and turn the dial. Your smoker isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t that hot that it will burn you (wear a long sleeved shirt) or a BBQ glove. You can also buy a rheostat extension cord that you can plug your smoker into, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve seen them on Ebay for around $30, Just make sure it will handle the Amps. The Brinkmann smoker is 1500 watts. or you might be able to buy a heating element from maybe a Charbroil Smoker and use that (they have a built in rheostat in their element).

George,
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=843

This link is for the way that I did it.

I got a temp controller and used a solid state relay and outlet and some wire and then like magic I have a controller to plug my electric burner into. My smoker controls the temp to plus or minus one degree.

Yes it is cheating just a bit compare to full wood fired units but I really need my sleep

UpinSmoke, I'm a lazy guy who who wants convenience. I did a google search and saw several other electric smokers that have an adjustment knob on the outside and that's what I'm looking for. My smoker was a gift so I'm going to make some mods, but probably not any that include reaching inside.

Cheech, I saw your post from before and that's what got me thinking about Radio Shack. I'm an electrical dummy so I'd like something inexpensive and already built.

Yours looks very professional and well built. Would you mind saying how much it cost (taking into account the case of beer) :) and how long it took you to build it?

Cheech, you're obviously a real electronics guy. I mean, how many people have thermocouple wire and a digital temp control sitting around their house as scrap?

Please, don't go to any extra trouble or effort for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky