Temp controller for offset smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thegipper

Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I have a OJ Highland offset smoker that I'm thinking of adding an automatic temp controller (Lavalock to be specific).

I did some searching around and found some information but not much. My main concern is what is the general consensus of adding a automatic temp controller to an offset smoker? I've already sealed the doors and everything. I used an aluminum dryer vent to bring the heat down closer to the grate. I'm also planning on making some tuning plates at work out of stainless.

A search on youtube has a few videos of guys adding them to their offset smoker but most of them are on barrel smokers or WSM.

I use charcoal/oak in my highland right now and while it works good, the temps do fluctuate a lot. It seems like I'm always either going up or going down, it's hard to get it to sit at a desired temp for an extended period of time. I can get it hold lets say 250ish for about 20 minutes before its either climbing too high or falling too low.

My other concerns is whether ash will be blown around into the cooking chamber. I've read that some people had that issue before.

I really like this smoker and it's worked pretty good so far but if I could make it so I don't have to sit next to it for 10+ hour, that would be great. I know a pellet smoker is king for "set it and forget it" but I like being able to burn logs/chunks of my choice as I have an unlimited supply of oak which is what I like to use.

Thoughts?

Reactions: JC in GB
51328944_10213352827161680_649555014007652352_o.jpg

I run a Fireboard with BBQ Guru Pit Bull fan and bulkhead adapter. Have not had a problem with ash being blwn around.

View attachment 393918
I run a Fireboard with BBQ Guru Pit Bull fan and bulkhead adapter. Have not had a problem with ash being blwn around.

I know I'm looking at a different controller and I have a different smoker but how does your setup work? I'm assuming the principal is the same. I went ahead an ordered it figuring it was worth taking a chance on.

Works great. The Fireboard has six probes. I can view temps and control fan via my phone. Did a six hour rib cook a couple of weeks ago and didn't leave the couch until it was time to bring them in.

My opinion is, if your using wood for fuel, then a controller is a waste of time.
If your using charcoal, then they work with the minnion method.
I use a controller on my WSM, but just like to sit & tend the fire with my Lang.
I'm putting in a split every 45 minutes or so, & with a controller, when the temp spikes the controller shuts the air off, producing thick white smoke. I found that I can do a better job of fire management with the dampers than the controller can with a fan.
Al

Reactions: jmtyndall
Thanks Al for the info. I too have been contemplating the Guru or maybe the Perfect Draft Blower. I have a Lang 48 and a WSM. I love the offset but would like a little more time between adding splits. I can go @ 40 minutes between splits. Nothing but good clean heat. The white smoke has me concerned. If there are any Perfect Draft owners please give us some feedback. There is a you tube video of a guy using the Perfect Draft and it seemed to work pretty well. He's cooking on a Lang 36 and said it cut his wood consumption in half. Very curious about the white billowing smoke...

I really don't know a lot other than reading on here about the controllers. I think AL has pretty much hit on it. Offset smoking is a task to be enjoyed;, a cold one, conversation with spouse, watching the game, or just quite time compteplaing life mysteries. I have investigated and tried some charcoal minion method and such just like you for a break or overnight cooks. So far I haven't found anything that suits me so I embrace the challenge of the cook and fire managment. There are other less intensive methods like pellet or electric.

I was able to try the new temp controller and wow, it worked better than I expected. I use a combination of lump charcoal and half logs of oak with some cherry chunks.

I smoked these short ribs for 4 hour and wrapped them for 1. They turned out amazing. The controller kept the temp within a couple degrees of 250 for an hour at a time before I had to add more fuel. It simply worked awesome. In my opinion, it was worth every penny.
20190426_221325.jpg
20190426_221308.jpg

I was able to try the new temp controller and wow, it worked better than I expected. I use a combination of lump charcoal and half logs of oak with some cherry chunks.

I smoked these short ribs for 4 hour and wrapped them for 1. They turned out amazing. The controller kept the temp within a couple degrees of 250 for an hour at a time before I had to add more fuel. It simply worked awesome. In my opinion, it was worth every penny. View attachment 394273 View attachment 394274
Gorgeous!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky