Taqueria-style Pickled Carrots and Jalapenos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Here's one I've been wanting to do for a while. I didn't follow any one set of recipe.

Taqueria-Style Pickled Carrots and Jalapenos.
IMG_4723.jpg

6 Carrots peeled and sliced
10 Jalapenos sliced
1 Onion halved and sliced into half-moons
5 whole peeled garlic cloves
1 & 1/2T. Pickling Salt
1/2T. Sugar
1 heaping tablespoon oregano crushed (I used dried hot oregano from my garden)
pinch of cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
2 cups vinegar (I used 1 cup of ACV and 1 cup of white)
1.5 cups Water
3T oil (I used Vegetable Oil)

Start off by cutting peeled carrots and jalapenos into 1/4" slices. Slice your onions and peel the garlic.
IMG_4718.jpg

Heat 3T of vegetable oil over medium high heat in a large stock pot. Add onions and garlic and cook, turning often so the garlic doesn't burn. Cook 2 minutes.
IMG_4719.jpg

Next, add the carrots and jalapenos. Cook for approximately 7 minutes. Stir often.
IMG_4720.jpg

Add the remaining ingredients: Vinegar, water, salt, sugar, spices and bay leaves. Cover and bring to a simmer and let everything simmer for 15-20 minutes.
IMG_4721.jpg

Once everything is done simmering, remove from heat. Add vegetables to clean jars and cover with brine to fill. Let jar cool and then place in refrigerator. These are ready to eat the next day.
IMG_4723.jpg

Notes:
These are not meant for long term storage, they are a quick refrigerator pickle. Keep refrigerated. Use water bath and canning for long term storage if desired.

If you notice, I deseeded a few of the jalapenos because I wasn't sure of the heat level. Next time I won't bother deseeding, these were pretty mild for my tastes. I originally started with 1T of salt but after tasting the brine while it was simmering, I felt it could have used more salt. I added an extra 1/2T.

These are pretty tasty. I made these earlier this morning and have already sampled a few. This jar won't last long.

Attachments

• IMG_4722.jpg
    IMG_4722.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 11
Wow Joe....that looks and sounds fantastic!! I could see myself making a 5 gallon bucket of that stuff, using it on sandwiches, or just sitting there nibbling the veggies with a cold beer. I may toss in a couple habanero or serrano peppers though. the jalapenos we've been getting recently have absolutely zero heat to them. Thanks for sharing this my friend!! Love it.

Robert

I'll be doing these! They look tasty as hell!

Thanks. I’ve been nibbling at these each time I walk past the fridge or so it seems. The oil adds a pleasant touch with the vinegar.

Wow Joe....that looks and sounds fantastic!! I could see myself making a 5 gallon bucket of that stuff, using it on sandwiches, or just sitting there nibbling the veggies with a cold beer. I may toss in a couple habanero or serrano peppers though. the jalapenos we've been getting recently have absolutely zero heat to them. Thanks for sharing this my friend!! Love it.

Robert

Thanks Robert, there’s a slight hint of heat with the jalapeños but not much. Perfect for the wife, but I could throw a few hotter ones in for myself.

I really like them with the oil in them too. I made them to eat as a nice little side but I could snack on these with some beer. They become quite addicting!

Looks tasty

Thanks Jim. They are quite tasty.

Looks great . I did a couple jars of red radish . Talk about addicting . I'll try carrots next .

I grew up in south Texas and this mix is popular in that area. Sometimes heavier on the jalapenos, but carrots were always an ingredient.

Reactions: xray
I agree , still taste good , but the radish just doesn't look right without the color .

Wz7h.gif

Say what? Those look awesome man thanks for the recipe I am going to give this a try. I agree with Robert would be a great snack to nibble on with a few cold ones.

Reactions: xray
Nice job. I will be making these soon!
Looks great . I did a couple jars of red radish . Talk about addicting . I'll try carrots next .

Thanks guys! Chop I never tried radishes before. I’ve made a quick pickle with sliced radishes for a topping on tacos but that only takes 20 minutes. You pickle them whole?

I like making pickled turnips a lot, I’ll try radishes next.

View attachment 448650

Say what? Those look awesome man thanks for the recipe I am going to give this a try. I agree with Robert would be a great snack to nibble on with a few cold ones.

Thanks John! That’s how I’ve mostly been eating them. The jar is more than halfway gone already. I’m always snacking.

No . Sliced . I like the radish raw on a taco as well as pickled .
Bottom left , just jarred up .
View attachment 448671

Like said above they loose their color , but it's a non issue
on taste .
View attachment 448672 View attachment 448670

Looks good to me! Color is a non issue for me, i guess it’s to be expected from the red skin. I like how the red onions turn pink as well. I’m always making pickled onions for my 96yr old grandmother. She’s always asking me to make more, because she can’t seem to get enough of them.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky