Tamales the way Nona taught me.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
150 Tamales is a LOT of work.
Each time I make them I say that I'm never making them again. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of them coming out of the steam pot. I actually didn't forget, they weren't cool enough to handle until 2:00 AM and I was DONE and need to get some sleep.

Thanks for looking.
Dan

Attachments

• 20200512_015643.jpg
    20200512_015643.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200512_023834.jpg
    20200512_023834.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200512_044557.jpg
    20200512_044557.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200512_053013.jpg
    20200512_053013.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200512_221330.jpg
    20200512_221330.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200512_221459.jpg
    20200512_221459.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200512_224235.jpg
    20200512_224235.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200512_233306.jpg
    20200512_233306.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200513_192922.jpg
    20200513_192922.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200513_191819.jpg
    20200513_191819.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Always loved tamales. A couple of families that work the farms near me make amazing ones. Yours look awesome and legit!!

Reactions: forktender
Nice. I need to make some soon. Been awhile...JJ

I have never had a good tamale and that is probably my fault. Guess I need to hit up a food truck or something. Every time I have tried them they have been a big glob of grits with a tiny bit of meat mixture in the middle. They tasted more like corn grits than anything else. I have to be missing something or not eating at the right place.

• Wow
My Massa is made with homemade chicken stock and the red chili sauce, it's pretty flavorful, it for sure doesn't taste like grits.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
I added 4 char'd white onions and a bulb and a half of roasted garlic to the chili sauce, forgot to take pictures of that step along with the plated dinner shots the next night......my back was completely fried, sorry.

Reactions: Bytor and chopsaw
I have never had a good tamale and that is probably my fault. Guess I need to hit up a food truck or something. Every time I have tried them they have been a big glob of grits with a tiny bit of meat mixture in the middle. They tasted more like corn grits than anything else. I have to be missing something or not eating at the right place.

Not your fault. It is hard to find good ones and a lot of people wills say "i know someone that makes god ones" and they are not that good. So when you find good ones you will know.

These look good and one of the key things is to really season up the masa. My mother seasons and boils her pork buts and uses that stock/broth with the masa which makes it extra good. She then seasons the meat some more to get the proper taste. mmmmmmm good!

• Love
Unseasoned massa taste like mush I use chicken bone broth and the pan drippings from the pork.
My twist on Nona's tamales is lightly smoking the pork with mesquite wood until it basically falls off the bone and adding a small handful of unsweetened Mexican chocolate shavings to the chili sauce. It adds a lot of depth without adding a mole flavor to the sauce.
Don't get me wrong I love a good mole just not on my tamales. I season the meat before smoking with ground up achiote, sesame, cumin, coriander seeds, pepitas, chiles, bay leaves and a few other top secret things, not really a secret I just like saying that... I also add some tequila and some ground up capers. I add all the spices into the blender or food mill then make a paste using the spices and the tequila and rub the meat with a heavy coating of the paste then wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and into the refer for 2 days before smoking it, Nona used a mortero y maja/mortar and pestle but I don't have the time to grind spices with two rocks. LMAO!!!

Dan:emoji_grimacing::emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Very nice job. Love tamales. Have a guatemalan neighbor down the road that makes the best I've ever had. Brings us a big batch every Christmas. Wish some homemade sauces as well

Wow!!
I'll bet those are Outstanding!!
I never made or ate anything like that, but I know I'd love them.
You just don't find anything like that in Pennsylvania Dutch Country.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Those look insanely good. Never cared for tamales until we had some home made ones. Just like yours.... Friend's grandmas recipe... WOW. Spoiled ever since. I can buy some kinda close but what made hers the masa. It had a slight sweetness and stronger corn flavor than most I've had. Also, the masa did not fall apart when eating. I imagine the smoke kicks it way up. If you made them all in one day you sir are a bad a$$.

• Haha
Those look insanely good. Never cared for tamales until we had some home made ones. Just like yours.... Friend's grandmas recipe... WOW. Spoiled ever since. I can buy some kinda close but what made hers the masa. It had a slight sweetness and stronger corn flavor than most I've had. Also, the masa did not fall apart when eating. I imagine the smoke kicks it way up. If you made them all in one day you sir are a bad a$$.
Day- 1 cook and shred the meat.
Day-2 clean the peppers, soak them and make the sauce.
Day- 3 make the massa and start assembling the tamales then steam them.
Day-3 is the day that tears up my back and makes me question why I'm putting myself through this again.
Day -4 sleep in, wake up and have scrambled eggs and tamales with chili sauce, take a nap, wake up have tamales for lunch, take a nap, wake up and have tamales Spanish rice and refried beans for dinner, take a nap.
Repeat day -4 all over again, bag up tamales freeze some and take most of them to family and friends.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky