• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tallow Prep today, cook tomorrow

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
made my first batch of tallow a couple months ago and its gone. Been savin the fat. Just love this stuff! had about 7.5 lb of fat. probably about 7 in the pot. chopped it by hand this time. use the grinder first time - that was kinda messy on the front end and the back end. Ill try to shoot some pics tomorrow as we render on down.

IMG_6391.jpg

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
My Grandmother would render tallow for frying certain things. French fries were my favorite, chicken fried steak was next. For years McDonald's used tallow.... that's why their fries were so good in the 70's.

Granny purchased lard however, and until she passed in her 90's baked with it, and cooked eggs in lard every morning.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I just bought a small jar of beef tallow. Did the onions for my meatballs in it. The onions tasted great cooked in it.

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
We use it for frying and also soap making. We made fish n chips in it a few weeks ago and there is nothing better. Also use it for searing steaks in a pan after sous vide.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Never used tallow before, but it sure sounds like the perfect fat for searing, and those French fries sound real good!
Al

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
tallow adds a ton of flavor.

But the best part and something I try to do as much as I can is use all of the meat products i buy, like brisket fat for tallow, chicken carcass for stock etc. I mean I bought the fat for $3.69/lb. why toss it when i can use it.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.