Talk to me about boiled peanuts...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Ok, so this yankee coal cracker really likes boiled peanuts. I’ve had them before in GA at a roadside stand and at gas stations(I hear these are the canned variety)

They sell the boiled ones in a can here in PA and I kinda like them too...

In a few days I will be getting 5lbs of raw peanuts from Virginia. I believe these are not “green” to the best of my knowledge.

I’m looking to make the spicy ones with an old bay or crawfish boil, any suggestions?

Also, I read that you could use a crockpot instead of boiling? Has anyone done this? I’m more interested in using a crockpot and checking them periodically.

Now, what really confuses me...how do you freeze them to eat later?

Are they drained and then frozen? Or frozen with the brine??

I’d like to reheat them and eat them warm, so I’m wondering if I would reheat them in boiling salted water.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I never made them before.

Ok, so this yankee coal cracker really likes boiled peanuts. I’ve had them before in GA at a roadside stand and at gas stations(I hear these are the canned variety)

They sell the boiled ones in a can here in PA and I kinda like them too...

In a few days I will be getting 5lbs of raw peanuts from Virginia. I believe these are not “green” to the best of my knowledge.

I’m looking to make the spicy ones with an old bay or crawfish boil, any suggestions?

Also, I read that you could use a crockpot instead of boiling? Has anyone done this? I’m more interested in using a crockpot and checking them periodically.

Now, what really confuses me...how do you freeze them to eat later?

Are they drained and then frozen? Or frozen with the brine??

I’d like to reheat them and eat them warm, so I’m wondering if I would reheat them in boiling salted water.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I never made them before.

Attachments

• Spicy Crockpot Peanuts.docx
    14.2 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: xray
Boil them in a pot with a buttload of salt, and add cajun seasoning, and hot sauce to taste. Start taste testing at around 4 hours. When most people say "Eww, that's gross", it's time to pull them! You can freeze those goobers with their juice in a freezer bag, but like Chili said, they don't last that long around here.

Boil in a non-reactive stock pot, hold in crockpot on warm.
Spicy is the best, the only way to eat'em.
Definitely use a spicy Cajun spice and not Old Bay.

Don't know about freezing them, never let them last that long.

Ok, I’ll omit the old bay. Do you consider the zatarains shrimp and crawfish boil to be cajun or with the addition of extra cayenne? Tony C’s is all salt and no spice to me.

Boil them in a pot with a buttload of salt, and add cajun seasoning, and hot sauce to taste. Start taste testing at around 4 hours. When most people say "Eww, that's gross", it's time to pull them! You can freeze those goobers with their juice in a freezer bag, but like Chili said, they don't last that long around here.

Thank you!! I’m giving 1lb away, and will have 4lbs to myself...guess I’ll have to eat them before they get frozen. Challenge accepted! Lol

Why couldn't you can them with the hot water you already have them in.
I'm from down south and use to eat them all the time. Never made any though. Up here in NWI I have to resort to the canned.
Good luck

I got two bags of Zatarains crab boil. Gonna see if I could boil 5lbs in one shot

Boiled Peanuts? Whaaaat...?!
OMG I had to google that...all I could think was "What's wrong with regular peanuts?!"
And now all I can think is "Why don't we have boiled peanuts up here in Canuck land?"

Boiled Peanuts? Whaaaat...?!
OMG I had to google that...all I could think was "What's wrong with regular peanuts?!"
And now all I can think is "Why don't we have boiled peanuts up here in Canuck land?"

They’re mostly a deep South thing. They are virtually unheard of in Pennsylvania but they sell the ones in the can here....they’re okay but they don’t compare to fresh boiled peanuts. I think the canned ones have a tangy taste.

I have 5lbs of raw peanuts that came from Virginia. I’m going to boil them tomorrow!!

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Joe you can make boiled Peanuts like they said lots of salt and spice fresh are always good,but you can use the roasted ones if you have too.
Richie

Thanks Richie, I’m actually getting ready to start these now. I’m going cajun style with salt, spices and Zatarains boil.

I have 5lbs of raw peanuts, they’re dried to be shelf stable. I don’t think I could get true green peanuts.

I've tried them both freshly made and out of a can. They didn't float my boat to much, but allot of folks really like them. Good luck and enjoy them xray.

Chris

Here’s my final pics, came out so good.

Boiling away:
A3950BF5-957E-483A-BAC7-C47078D761B5.jpeg

Excess went into a crockpot:
F431C97B-8B20-4054-A09D-96EEBBAB95A7.jpeg

Snack time:
4741F651-F1F3-4D2B-850B-D1B18810AA5B.jpeg

You need to send them to me with the liquid it is vital that is in the bowl. LIKES
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky