Tabasco chocolate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
An interesting play in flavors. Out walking around and came across these. Actually pretty good.

choc.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
Probably good. I've had African chocolate with cayenne in it that was quite tasty.

I was pretty surprised that I liked them. My initial thought when I saw them was less then stellar. I just couldn't wrap my head around spicy chocolate. I'm thinking about stopping and getting some more on my way out tomorrow.

I just couldn't wrap my head around spicy chocolate.

Neither could I....until a few years ago. An hour and a half west of us in the little town of Fredericksburg, there are a ton of world-class wineries. We are known to pack up and go out there to tour a few of them for tastings. I don't drink wine so we invite a couple friends, pack into my big crew cab truck, I drive and let everybody else have fun with no worries. Turns out that at Tracy's favorite winery, they were having Texas Festival and they featured tons and tons of different flavored pecans, walnuts, cheeses, and chocolates. I tried a chocolate infused with ghost pepper and was blown away!! It was really, really good. My friend however almost had a heart attack from the ghost pepper. They loaded up on wine, I loaded up on chocolate and cheese.....well got a few bags of pecans too.

Ya gotta love Texas!!
Robert

Neither could I....until a few years ago. An hour and a half west of us in the little town of Fredericksburg, there are a ton of world-class wineries. We are known to pack up and go out there to tour a few of them for tastings. I don't drink wine so we invite a couple friends, pack into my big crew cab truck, I drive and let everybody else have fun with no worries. Turns out that at Tracy's favorite winery, they were having Texas Festival and they featured tons and tons of different flavored pecans, walnuts, cheeses, and chocolates. I tried a chocolate infused with ghost pepper and was blown away!! It was really, really good. My friend however almost had a heart attack from the ghost pepper. They loaded up on wine, I loaded up on chocolate and cheese.....well got a few bags of pecans too.

Ya gotta love Texas!!
Robert

Sounds like fun. Back in the day I had a aunt that would send a 5 pound box of fresh pecans that were roasted, cracked, and salted picked from a tree in her backyard. Lord do I miss them. And I miss her as well.

The Chocolate we eat has European origins, especially Dark Chocolate, and you can thank Mr. NESTLÉ and Mr.HERSHEY for our Milk Chocolate. But, back to the 15th Century, and likely earlier, Central and South Americans, Inca and Aztec, etc, Drank pulverized Roasted Cocoa Beans mixed with Chiles and Water. Chocolate and Spicy Chiles have gone together for Hundreds of years...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
I’d try that. Is there a vinegar kick to it since it’s Tabasco?

I’ve tried a few chocolates with chili pepper in them and enjoyed them.

Isn’t dark or bitter chocolate and chilis the basis of mole sauce? I’ve always liked that too. A Mexican place around here had mole chicken but it’s no longer on the menu.

What an interesting idea. Never heard of spicy chocolate, either.
I'd sure like try these... Anyone seen them sold in a store I might look for locally?? (Chain Store)

Hoping someone has positive sightings....

Did a quick search,

And a few other varieties / choices,

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tabasco+chocolate&gclid=CjwKCAjw8ZHsBRA6EiwA7hw_sYxQMjPxBcpa6YZnj-IOb7HdevX7lErgQey4aiMO_RqmNRnuVx0HqRoCg90QAvD_BwE&hvadid=174264624444&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1021137&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=14416411710412225933&hvtargid=aud-649564993678:kwd-18541723659&hydadcr=4822_9338494&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_9j8kfx85nh_b

Even Tabasco Jelly Bellys,

Isn’t dark or bitter chocolate and chilis the basis of mole sauce? I’ve always liked that too. A Mexican place around here had mole chicken but it’s no longer on the menu.

Yes and No...This is one of the most Confused Concepts among Young Pro Chef's and Home Cooks alike.
There are DOZENS of Moles but only a few that contain a little bit of Chocolate.
Two of the most popular and even commercially available Moles are Mole Pablano and Mole Negro. These two do contain Chocolate and are likely the the reason so many folks think ALL Moles are made with Chocolate. These are all they have tasted. I enjoy the Food Network cooking competition show Chopped. They give a group of Chef's a Mystery Basket with all kinds of Crazy ingredients and they combine them to make a winning Appetizer, Entrees or Dessert. Every time Chocolate is one of the four ingredients, someone makes what " They " call a Mole! Give me a Break, the Judges too!!! Canned Tomatoes, Cheese Puffs, a Chocolate Bar, three of the Basket Ingredients with Chicken Breast, and Cayenne Pepper, DOES NOT make Chicken Mole!!!!
So there you go...JJ

Reactions: xray
I’d try that. Is there a vinegar kick to it since it’s Tabasco?

I’ve tried a few chocolates with chili pepper in them and enjoyed them.

I didn't taste a vinegar hint. Just pepper. Nice and warm. But with a little kick after taste.

I love the combo of chilis and chocolate. I believe Lindts makes a chili chocolate bar as well available pretty widely in Ohio

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I love the combo of chilis and chocolate. I believe Lindts makes a chili chocolate bar as well available pretty widely in Ohio

Got to look for this! I am a fan of Lindt Chocolate. Their Truffle Balls are amazing! I love the Milk Chocolate Truffle filling covered in White Chocolate...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
We love Mexican Chipotle and dark chocolate as candy and hot chocolate. Just thus week my wife and I were watching something on YouTube, saw a chocolate pecan pie, and both thought "I wonder how that would taste with Chipotle chili added?" We won't know until we try!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky