Sweet Spiral Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sure can tell I'm new at this. I smoked a ham for dinner today using this post as my inspiration, maybe I should have read the directions a little better. My ham came full of smoke flavor a plus but it had a sour taste to it. One thing I noticed that I did different was I combined the syrup honey and brown sugar and poured that mix on top of the ham. Any suggestions on why it became sour to the taste.
was it sour or a bitter taste?  what type of smoker are you using?  i really can't see why there would be a sour flavor...every thing that is added to this is "sweet"...combining the syrup, honey and brown sugar is fine...the only thing i can really think of is you may have put "to much" smoke to it creating creosote...which will give your food a very bitter flavor..

The skewers allow you to fan out the ham so the glaze and brown sugar can get in between the slices better. It isn't necessary, just helpful

I didn't Bigboy. I put the ham in the foil pan without any roasting rack or anything. Just did a ham today with a different glaze recipe. I used 1/3 cup grade A dark amber maple syrup and a stick of butter. Heated them in a saucepan over low heat until combined,then stirred in 2 tbsp of brown sugar. Heat just until combined,don't boil. Drizzle glaze over the ham and smoke for 3 hours or so.

It also helps the ham heat through a little quicker by fanning out the slices. I don't think 3 hours would get it warm all the way through if it were left together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky