• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sweet Spiral Ham

redneck69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2010

Sure can tell I'm new at this. I smoked a ham for dinner today using this post as my inspiration, maybe I should have read the directions a little better. My ham came full of smoke flavor a plus but it had a sour taste to it. One thing I noticed that I did different was I combined the syrup honey and brown sugar and poured that mix on top of the ham. Any suggestions on why it became sour to the taste.
was it sour or a bitter taste?  what type of smoker are you using?  i really can't see why there would be a sour flavor...every thing that is added to this is "sweet"...combining the syrup, honey and brown sugar is fine...the only thing i can really think of is you may have put "to much" smoke to it creating creosote...which will give your food a very bitter flavor..

redneck69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2010
Just made this today, coming off the smoker in about 15 minutes. Looks exactly like everyone else's pics. Snuck a piece, tastes awesome! Thanks for the recipe / process :)
your welcome...i'm very happy that you enjoyed this

bigboy

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 22, 2010
This looks amazing! So you did NOT keep the skewers in while it smoked?

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
This looks amazing! So you did NOT keep the skewers in while it smoked?
I also question as to why you would need to skewer the ham if it's going to be in a pan?

bus1982

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 21, 2013
The skewers allow you to fan out the ham so the glaze and brown sugar can get in between the slices better. It isn't necessary, just helpful

bus1982

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 21, 2013
I didn't Bigboy. I put the ham in the foil pan without any roasting rack or anything. Just did a ham today with a different glaze recipe. I used 1/3 cup grade A dark amber maple syrup and a stick of butter. Heated them in a saucepan over low heat until combined,then stirred in 2 tbsp of brown sugar. Heat just until combined,don't boil. Drizzle glaze over the ham and smoke for 3 hours or so.

bus1982

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 21, 2013
It also helps the ham heat through a little quicker by fanning out the slices. I don't think 3 hours would get it warm all the way through if it were left together.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.