Sweet Italian and Cheesy Snack Stixs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sam3

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Byram Twp., New Jersey
Decided to take the whole day and make some goodies for myself and friends.

First....lot's o poke to grind.

Sausage meat went through the 3/8" plate.

And now the ingredients:

2.2 lbs. well-fatted pork butt
2 tsp. Kosher Salt (or to taste)
2 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp. Crushed Fennel Seed
2 tsp. Coarsely Ground Coriander
2 tsp. Crushed Anise Seed (This is essential.)
1 Tbsp. Dried Parsley Flakes
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Sugar
1/4 cup Ice Water

I had @5.5lbs of pork, so I multiplied this 2.5

I'm getting pretty good at this stuffing gig.
grin.gif

Closer look.

Going to let these air dry in the frig for a bit while I make some other goodies..
wink.gif

This is one of Kevin's recipe's that I have made before. It's the #1 request from friends who've tried it!

So here goes.

Pork went through the fine plate and I added some 80/20 GB.

Added BBQ sauce, Srirachi, Legg #116, cure, Water and NFDM.

Mixed.

Going to give this a rest in the frig while I cube up some Extra Sharp Vermont White Cheddar.

And eat something.
cheesy.gif

So, after an hour or so...I took the meat out of the refrig and added the cheese and a little ECA. Mixed it gently.

Ready for the stuffer.

Using 19mm mahogany collagen casings. I have to admit, I really had to use some muscle to stuff these bad boys.
shocked.gif

After the 2nd smoke cycle. Taking on some nice Pecan smoke color.

@6.5 hours later, they hit 152 and were ready to come out. Blooming downstairs.

A better look.

Going to let these hang for a bit and then into the refrig overnight in a paper bag to get all happy happy.

Did a quick flash freeze on the sausage and got them ready for packing away.

Will take some more pics tonight of the finished snack stixs.

Tanks fer lookin'.
biggrin.gif

Great lookin' Italians there, Sam! Any recipe for Itals that have BOTH the fennel and anise, I'm okay with...
drool.gif

how 'tangy' did u make your sticks? I was pretty conservative with the ECA the last time I made the Cheez-Stix, so next time I'll probably tang 'em up a bit more. That's go well with a SHARP cheese.

Nice job!

Kevin

Great lookin' Italians there, Sam! Any recipe for Itals that have BOTH the fennel and anise, I'm okay with...
drool.gif

how 'tangy' did u make your sticks? I was pretty conservative with the ECA the last time I made the Cheez-Stix, so next time I'll probably tang 'em up a bit more. That's go well with a SHARP cheese.

Nice job!

Kevin
Thanks Everyone!

Kevin, this is by far my best Italian sweet yet. The wifey loved it!

I only went with 0.5oz of the ECA for that batch. I haven't taste tested them yet, but I made these primarily for a good friend of mine. So I'll get his opinion.

Last batch I used High Temp Cheese, this time just the extra sharp.

Thanks everyone.
grin.gif

Here they are after resting in the frig for one day. They dried up nice and I'm going to let them sit one more day to really mellow out.

Sliced shot. (I need one of them nepas camera's
shocked.gif
)

I'm very happy with the 0.5oz of ECA in this recipe. Gave it just the right tang.
Extra sharp Vermont Cheddar held up too. I'll never buy that overpriced high temp cheese again.

They look great! 
first.gif
 Yep I have never bought the high temp cheese, it's mostly wax from what I've heard. 
Thank you.
biggrin.gif

I only bought the high temp because I really liked the pepperjack cheese. But from now on, I'll use the high temp cheddar and dice up some fresh hot peppers if I want that extra heat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky