Sweet corn time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Sweet corn time again! It's early this year, usually not ready till mid August. This year I had to put a double wire electric fence around the patch (1/3 acre) to keep the raccoons out...1st time since we moved the patch maybe 8 or 9 years ago. Dogs must be getting too old, and the youngest not taught what to do. Also the first time in years I had to check it, usually the dogs did it...one would just bring an ear up on the lawn, his mother brought up the whole stalk...many of them!

20200724_190321.jpg

We picked last Friday afternoon, it was a bit warm in the field, about 94 and 90 % humidity...thankfully there was a breeze. We picked about 38 dozen, a bit more than normal but we are 4 inches below normal for rainfall this year so some of the ears aren't as big as normal. Corn gets stacked on table in shop with a/c on

20200725_104153.jpg

Saturday morning we had 6 of us husking it into the loader bucket, which was nice, it's the worst part of the whole process. After it's all husked the tractor and loader get parked in front of the house to put the cobs in.

20200725_104238.jpg

Ended up with 4 coolers full of corn

20200725_134625.jpg

Some corn after being washed to help remove any remaining silks. My wife started on this after the 1st cooler got full.

20200725_134602.jpg

More corn on the table to be cut

20200725_134615.jpg

Mil and friend from college doing some cutting, he helps every year...he gets corn and in return he brings us walleye ( good trade!)

20200725_153611.jpg

Corn on stove boiling...just corn, water, lemon juice, and a little salt

20200725_143738.jpg

From the stove it gets put into bowls and then into an ice bath to cool

20200725_155016.jpg

We needed an afternoon snack of course to go along with beverages...started with bloody Mary's while husking, some beer, and margaritas throughout the day

20200725_151035.jpg

Ground round with onions salt and pepper on saltine crackers

20200725_151744.jpg

After cooling it goes into the canner to get bagged

20200725_174728.jpg

After bagging into the freezer...ended up with 134 qt bags this year. Shared with my buddy, mil, grandma, and daughter and sil. Needless to say we won't buy corn in a can or eat it at a restaurant, can't stand it after having sweet corn

20200725_222116.jpg

And for supper...the best BLTs of the year, first ones with garden fresh tomatoes!

20200725_203148.jpg

It takes alot of time from planting, weeding, picking and freezing but oh so worth it! Started husking about 11 am when the help showed up and mostly done by 8 pm, including clean up.

Almost forgot...pic of last years helpers

20190815_200620.jpg

Thanks for dropping by!

Ryan

looks great Ryan, lot's of work there. ya can't beat fresh sweet corn, the wife and me used to help a friend of mine on his farm picking his crops, he used to let us take any vegies i wanted, we used to take a bunch of corn towards the end of picking season and shuck it and freeze it and have it all winter along with a bunch of other stuff, it just taste so much different then the store bought stuff.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
looks great Ryan, lot's of work there. ya can't beat fresh sweet corn, the wife and me used to help a friend of mine on his farm picking his crops, he used to let us take any vegies i wanted, we used to take a bunch of corn towards the end of picking season and shuck it and freeze it and have it all winter along with a bunch of other stuff, it just taste so much different then the store bought stuff.
Thank you! Definitely takes time but it's so good!

Ryan

Wow!! You're set for another year. Gonna be some great eating this winter while the rest of us eat froze corn from Wally World.
Gary
Thanks Gary! The only corn we buy is creamed corn to mix with our sweet corn when making scalloped corn. Sil said we ruined him...he longer can eat corn at restaurants anymore.

Ryan

Damn Ryan that is awesome! A lot of corn and a lot of work but looks oh so worth it in the end. Nice job man.
Thank you! I appreciate it. Still alot of corn left...we tell quite a few people to come out and pick as much as they want.

Ryan

is the stuff on the cracker eaten raw? what happened to the dog's ears? did they accidentally get shucked?
Yep, gets eaten just that way. And no, that's Kya...we had her ears posted so they would stand up straight (basically just foam inserts)

Ryan

Reactions: flatbroke
Holy smokes !! That's awesome .
Labor and walleye for corn ? That must be some great corn LOL .
Thanks for posting . Place looks great too .

Holy smokes !! That's awesome .
Labor and walleye for corn ? That must be some great corn LOL .
Thanks for posting . Place looks great too .
Thank you, I appreciate it! We do get the better end of the deal with the walleye. The acreage was alot more work...was my grandparents place, was abandoned for 20 years before we gutted and remodeled it, but well worth it!

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
Wow that a lot of corn. I love the stuff. That one of the things I miss about Michigan. I never had any better.
Thanks Brian, I appreciate it! It's hard to beat fresh sweet corn.

Ryan

Wow Ryan, looks like you knocked out a lot of work in a day and brought in quite a haul, nice piece of work! RAY

Ryan that corn looks phenomenal. It’s impossible to be good fresh sweet corn. On Keto it’s the one thing I miss and simply can’t recreate in any way!! My grandma used to eat the raw beef like that, I am way to afraid I’d end up with food poisoning. Love the BLT too, my tomatoes should be coming on soon. Been picking cherry tomatoes for about a week but the big ones are still green.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky