SW24 Camp Chef Sportsman's Warehouse Pellet Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tokarev

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
I picked up one of these this morning. Had actually gone in to look at Green Mountain but ended up balking at the price:

https://www.sportsmans.com/outdoor-...let-grill-with-gen2-wifi-controller/p/1620993

I had been wanting something a little bigger. Not that I need a large grill but I'd rather have unusued extra room vs trying to cram a big brisket into a small space. But the SW has a full bottom and nearly a full top rack. Advertised cooking space is almot 800 cu in. Not much space between the top and bottom rack but it should be okay with some pre-planning.

I'm not sure about the Camp Chef brand but given my recent experiences with Pit Boss I'm assuming I can't do much worse.

I have a small pork shoulder on now. The temp is holding pretty close to 225 and I have the smoke setting on 5.

I have never not had enough space. I have done six racks of ribs at one time.
What's your preferred smoke setting? Is there a noticeable difference between them?

I can guess there will be a big difference between settings 1 and 10. But between 2 and 3 or 7 and 8? Probably not so much.

I picked up one of these this morning. Had actually gone in to look at Green Mountain but ended up balking at the price:

https://www.sportsmans.com/outdoor-...let-grill-with-gen2-wifi-controller/p/1620993

I had been wanting something a little bigger. Not that I need a large grill but I'd rather have unusued extra room vs trying to cram a big brisket into a small space. But the SW has a full bottom and nearly a full top rack. Advertised cooking space is almot 800 cu in. Not much space between the top and bottom rack but it should be okay with some pre-planning.

I'm not sure about the Camp Chef brand but given my recent experiences with Pit Boss I'm assuming I can't do much worse.

I have a small pork shoulder on now. The temp is holding pretty close to 225 and I have the smoke setting on 5.

Hey Tokarev,
I've been researching pellet grills/smokers and came across this one at SW for $649. I'm just looking to replace my old worn out propane grill with something that can grill and/or smoke, and I'm more of a beginner. Now that you've had this grill for a year, what do you think overall? Are you happy with it? Any complaints, tips, beware of, etc...?

Thanks!
Tom

The grill itself worked fine but I had problems connecting to WiFi. I eventually ended up returning the grill to SW for a refund.

I have a similar grill, the pg24sg, and it too has weak Wifi. I added an inexpensive TP Link Wifi extender from Amazon to solve my connection problems.

I'm wondering if there were 2 versions of the wifi controller, or was the original one non-wifi, and the Gen2 is the current one with wifi? I do have the TP Link extenders already, so maybe I'll place one near the grill should I buy one, and that should take care of it.

In general, I was just wondering if those of you who have it like it for how it smokes and grills? There's not a lot of info out there on these. SW currently has them at $649.99, but I'm waiting for a sale.

1634756680004.png

The controller on the left is the current PID Gen2 Wifi and the one on the right is the Gen1 that, IIRC, is not Wifi orPID.

ETA - I forgot to mention I do like my similar 24SG aside from the universal complaint of light smoke profile.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky