SV Ox Tail Tacos!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, it's been a while! Sorry, haven't been on here lately... life has been a bit crazy.

Anyway, we were given three packages of ox tails... I've always loved ox tails! My Grandma used to cook ox tail stew on the wood stove.. Miss that stew! She always had some kind of soup or stew simmering on the ol wood stove! She was a great cook!

So, we saved one package for some ox tail stew. Ya know, gotta try to keep the ol staples going & teaching the kiddos the importance of that! As most of ya know, my kiddos love the smoker & kitchen! We just enjoy cooking as a fam!

Ok, on to the SV cook! Took the biggest ox tails, getting ready to season.

image.jpeg

Took some Mc C's taco seasoning & give em a shake or two on both sides!

image.jpeg

Put in a foodsaver bag & vac sealed for the SV! 185* for 24 hours.

image.jpeg

As these were getting close, time to get the rest of the stuff ready! We kept these simple as to not over power the ox tails flavor. So we done a bit of shredded pepper jack cheese, green bell peppers & some maters!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ox tails done, 24 hours later..

image.jpeg

Put them thru the strainer.

image.jpeg

Gotta keep this juice, good stuff!

image.jpeg

Pulling the meat off the tail bone.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Got the meat pulled off and in a bit of a pile!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dusted and mixed with just a bit more of Mc C's taco seasoning!

image.jpeg

Time to get this taco built..

image.jpeg

Put in some Herdez guacamole salsa, that stuff is awesome.. Give it a try if ya can!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have to say, these were awesome! Very tasty, the ox tails had a different texture than the normal taco! This idea was just kinda put together for fun! The fam really enjoyed them, that's always the best part!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 2
I never had ox tail, but it sure looks good. When you say different texture, is there anything close that is similar it to? I want to try ox tail, but now I'm a little worried on texture.

Point for sure.
Chris

I never had ox tail, but it sure looks good. When you say different texture, is there anything close that is similar it to? I want to try ox tail, but now I'm a little worried on texture.

Point for sure.
Chris

Chris, ox tails are really tasty. Give them a try if ya get a chance! All I meant by a different texture is usually with tacos we use burger or diced up meat, like some spicy pork! This was more like a pulled pork type of texture! We will for sure be doing these again! Thanks for dropping a line, the point & hope my explanation makes sense!

Wow, they look great. I have to try this of I can find any.

Chris, ox tails are really tasty. Give them a try if ya get a chance! All I meant by a different texture is usually with tacos we use burger or diced up meat, like some spicy pork! This was more like a pulled pork type of texture! We will for sure be doing these again! Thanks for dropping a line, the point & hope my explanation makes sense!

Thanks, for the clairification.

Chris

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, That looks Freaking Awesome!!
I'm another one who has never had Oxtail, but I have never seen it in a store, and I never asked at a butcher shop.
Yours sure looks Mighty Tasty, Justin!!
Like.

Bear

Point for sure.
Chris

Being an extremely active muscle group, Ox tails are SUPER high in collagen. The resulting Gelatin content is much more than that of a pork butt. The result, that rich, lip smacking, luxurious mouth feel of the dark, more stringy meat in pulled pork? The mouth feel of Ox Tails is that great eating X10! The gelatin content is so high that your lips and fingers stick together when you stop eating. Refrigerate leftovers and the next day you have a Beefy Jello Jiggler in your refer.
For Taste, Texture and a rich Beefy Flavor there is no better cut on a Bovine...JJ

Reactions: gmc2003
Being an extremely active muscle group, Ox tails are SUPER high in collagen. The resulting Gelatin content is much more than that of a pork butt. The result, that rich, lip smacking, luxurious mouth feel of the dark, more stringy meat in pulled pork? The mouth feel of Ox Tails is that great eating X10! The gelatin content is so high that your lips and fingers stick together when you stop eating. Refrigerate leftovers and the next day you have a Beefy Jello Jiggler in your refer.
For Taste, Texture and a rich Beefy Flavor there is no better cut on a Bovine...JJ
Wow Chef

I had ox tail many times and love it. But reading your post almost makes me drive to the store to pick some up.

The tacos are a great idea. Only had stew and terrine from oxtail but i will definitely try tacos.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I'm sold - after JJs explanation, Waters tacos I'll be heading into Burlington next week to one of the local butchers to see if they have any. If not I'll have to special order some. Thanks for the push. Ox tail is something I'd never in a million years would have tried on my own without some sort of direction.

Chris

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
The tacos look fantastic Justin!
I've never had oxtail, but may have to give it a try!
Al

Thanks Al, appreciate the kind words & like! I think you'd really enjoy them, hopefully you can give them a try!

Those look delicious! I did oxtail for the first time a couple weeks ago. Just treated it like a pot roast. Cooked it for 155/36 or so. maybe a little longer. It was awesome. It didn't shred as easily as yours looks though. Next time I'm going to up the temp to 160 and go for 40+. I like the taco idea! thanks!

If anyone has to order Oxtails, there are two ways they come. For Tacos or any dish you want just the meat, order just the upper, large portions. For soups, stews and braised Ox Tails, order cut whole tails. They weigh about 3 pounds and consist of large to small joints. I would suggest asking for 1" cuts from the larger bones This is roughly 1/3 the thickness of the larger, upper, bones.They are easier to portion and, the fun part, picking up the bones to suck the meat and fatty bits off. The upper bones are around 3X3 and get shorter and narrower as the tail thins. The last several bones are 1X1. Do Not feel cheated that you are getting the small bones. The thinner smaller joints are the most active, ergo, loaded with collagen and lip smackin Beefy flavor. Frankly, I prefer the smaller joints to the meatier ones and they make the richest soup and gravy...JJ

Looks fantastic! My favorite way to prepare ox tails is braising in a red wine based liquid, but I might need to give tacos a try

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky