SV Elk & Balsamic Blueberry Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My wife was thinking pork too! You’re welcome anytime, no need to stand in line!

Thanks Jed, nice offer. my bags are packed already , but going to the heat down south lol

I find the blueberries with the sweet and tart are a good topping for lots of meat , and yes on pork would be nice must try that myself. on a nice pork loin roast. I like it on pancakes also. :emoji_yum:

David

• Love
Reactions: bauchjw
Another Hell Yeah!
Thank you Brian!
That is over-the-top, Jed!! I've never had elk, but I can imagine what that tastes like!!
Thank you! My first time and It’s pretty incredible! It’s been a while since I’ve had white tail, I’d say it’s comparable, but a little less sweet. I appreciate the compliment!
Oh baby!! Far and again one of the most decadent looking meals I've seen here. That is truly top a notch, 5-star culinary experience. I have to agree with your sentiments regarding Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ He is a great person and a true testament to the great people in this forum. I too have been on the receiving end of his elk bounty in the past and it is amazing stuff. Congrats to you and the family on an exquisite meal and kudos to Justin for helping to make it happen.

Robert
Thank you Robert. You are always too kind, but it motivates me in attempts to be worthy of the praise! This is definitely in top contender for my favorite high end meal. All the stuff I’ve picked up from you and others here is starting to come together! Very incredible meal, thanks to Justin’s generosity and inspired by the culture on this forum!

Fantastic looking meal Jed. Your getting kind of fancy on us with the balsamic blueberry sauce aren't ya, but it sounds most excellent.

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
Jed… I’m speechless! What an awesome meal my friend… Wow… you have far outgone my elk cooks… I am an ol redneck that cooks as such! 😜 You definitely took that next level… Nice cook buddy… hope you and yours enjoyed! Thanks for the shout out!

Jed, yup that is a proper dish for elk back strap! Very nicely done!
Thank you Civil! I appreciate the compliment! Came out perfect for our taste!
Never had Elk. That looks outstanding. Nice job on the meal.
Thank you Tex! This was my first taste and we loved it, IMO a lot like white tail, but a bit more sweet. I appreciate your time!
Mighty nice meal Jed! I'll be "borrowing" the blueberry sauce!
Thank you Steve! I appreciate it! You’ll dig the sauce, we’ll use it again. Original recipe called for brandy or Cognac instead of Sake, but I didn’t want to drive out to an ABC store, so I went with the Sake🤣
Not sure I was sold in the beginning, but I love the idea!
Understood, blueberry and meat sounds unusual at first, but you’d be shocked at how great that sauce tastes with wild game. We’re going to try it on pork next.
Bravo Jed!
Going SV then searing is a safe way to prevent overcooking. I learned long ago that it cooks way faster than beef, as does bison.
Thank you for the compliment! I love the SV and got it just in time! It’s been so long since I’ve had wild game and we used to just cook in CI. But, this definitely made sure the moisture was there, I remember more than a few over cooked mallards and venison steaks. SV is a Great cooking method, may have to try that Bison out!

Are you going to put in for an Elk tag? I font think I’ll have the time even if I won the lottery on that!

Great job, great looking meal and a nice presentation as well.

I've only had elk a few times, the first time being about 30 years ago at a restaurant in Santa Fe. I saw it on the menu and asked the server what it tasted like. His response was "Intense Beef", and I was all in.

I've never made it myself, but a neighbor and some of his co-workers went to Wyoming a few months ago on a hunt. Upon his return, he gifted me with a 5 lb. package of elk steaks which I put in the freezer and promptly forgot until I saw this thread. I'll probably sous vide and sear them as you did and serve with a blackberry and ancho sauce I cobbled together many years ago.

Again, great job and thanks for the inspiration to get going with the elk.

• Love
Hmm.....Another idea for the meat drop from Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ . And like Robert said....Looks like from a high end restaurant.
Jim
Thank you Jim! It was fun trying out a few new things, this one was a winner, but definitely was closer to date night meal than family sit down🤣
Fantastic looking meal Jed. You’re getting kind of fancy on us with the balsamic blueberry sauce aren't ya, but it sounds most excellent.

Point for sure
Chris
🤣 Thank you Chris! Yes, maybe a bit too fancy at times, but fun to try something new! If it helps, we had sloppy joes the next night!
Jed… I’m speechless! What an awesome meal my friend… Wow… you have far outgone my elk cooks… I am an ol redneck that cooks as such! 😜 You definitely took that next level… Nice cook buddy… hope you and yours enjoyed! Thanks for the shout out!
Thank you Justin! I doubt I’ve outdone your elk cooks, just added blueberries🤣 And I’d take redneck cooking any day! We’ve thoroughly enjoyed your elk gift and appreciate the generosity. At this point in life it’s exciting to try something new and this was a real treat!
Great job, great looking meal and a nice presentation as well.

I've only had elk a few times, the first time being about 30 years ago at a restaurant in Santa Fe. I saw it on the menu and asked the server what it tasted like. His response was "Intense Beef", and I was all in.

I've never made it myself, but a neighbor and some of his co-workers went to Wyoming a few months ago on a hunt. Upon his return, he gifted me with a 5 lb. package of elk steaks which I put in the freezer and promptly forgot until I saw this thread. I'll probably sous vide and sear them as you did and serve with a blackberry and ancho sauce I cobbled together many years ago.

Again, great job and thanks for the inspiration to get going with the elk.
Thank you for the compliment and time! Yes, intense beef is a great description! I think SV came out perfect and that the blackberry ancho sounds perfect! I’d love to get that recipe, when you get the cook posted please share, I’m looking forward to it!

Reactions: gmc2003
Thank you for the compliment and time! Yes, intense beef is a great description! I think SV came out perfect and that the blackberry ancho sounds perfect! I’d love to get that recipe, when you get the cook posted please share, I’m looking forward to it!
Jed - Sorry for the delay in responding but it's been a hectic week.

I'll post the elk cook when it's done, but I'm not sure when that will be. In addition to my wife and I it would include our daughter and her fiance and, hopefully, the friend who gave me the elk and his wife. Today, our daughter and her fiance flew to Phoenix for the Super Bowl, and next weekend she's in New Orleans with 7 friends she went to college with for a little informal reunion. The weekend beyond that she and my wife are going to Las Vegas, and sometime within the next month I need to be in both Miami and Madrid. Once things settle down I'll do the elk.

I've attached the recipe for the backberry ancho sauce.

Attachments

• BLACKBERRY ANCHO SAUCE.docx
    15.9 KB · Views: 10
Jed - Sorry for the delay in responding but it's been a hectic week.

I'll post the elk cook when it's done, but I'm not sure when that will be. In addition to my wife and I it would include our daughter and her fiance and, hopefully, the friend who gave me the elk and his wife. Today, our daughter and her fiance flew to Phoenix for the Super Bowl, and next weekend she's in New Orleans with 7 friends she went to college with for a little informal reunion. The weekend beyond that she and my wife are going to Las Vegas, and sometime within the next month I need to be in both Miami and Madrid. Once things settle down I'll do the elk.

I've attached the recipe for the backberry ancho sauce.
Wow, that is a busy schedule! Looking forward to your post, thank you for the recipe!
bjw, Great gift and excellent meal!
Thank you for the compliment! Very appreciated!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky