SV Elk & Balsamic Blueberry Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ Justin’s gift has been a big hit here at my house and a lot of fun. Such an incredible meat, the flavors are very pure, but strong…if that makes any sense. I found this recipe and tweaked a bit, came out amazing for something a bit more elevated than Shepards pie. I thought the back-strap medallions deserved to be front and center on a special plate and this hit the mark for us.

SV Elk Steak

Ingredients:

• About pound of Elk steak
  • 1 sprig Rosemary
  • Salt + Pepper
  • 1 clove Garlic Sliced
  • 2 pats Butter
Directions:
  • I set SV to 135°F for medium rare to medium. My wife likes it more cooked than me.
  • Sprinkled a little salt and pepper over the elk steaks and put in sous vide bag. Added a rosemary sprig and sliced garlic clove.
  • I still use a ziploc for SV, doing the water displacement (or redneck) method, slowly lowering the bag into the water to get the air out of the bag before completely sealing it. Then let it cook in the sous vide pot for 1 hour.
  • After the 1 hour of cooking, pulled the elk steaks out of the sous vide pot.
  • Then got a skillet smoking hot for a sear.
  • Added a little olive oil to the pan to help prevent the elk steaks from sticking. Add the elk steaks, leftover rosemary sprig, garlic, and a pat of butter to the top of each elk steak. Cooked the elk steaks on one side for about 2 minutes, flipped, and cooked on the other side for about 1 minute.
  • Removed the seared elk steaks to cutting board for a rest.
Sorry….only one SV shot!
D70AB0C8-E38D-415C-BCA4-9C61CF7D8F88.jpeg

For Balsamic Blueberry Sauce
Ingredients:

• 1 tbls Butter
  • 1 clove Garlic Minced
  • 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 3 oz Blueberries
  • 1/4 tbls Rosemary Fresh, Chopped
  • 1 tbls Honey
  • 1 tbls Brown Sugar
  • 1 tbls Sake
  • 1 Lemon
Directions:

• While the elk was in SV I Minced the garlic, Put the balsamic vinegar, blueberries, rosemary, honey, brown sugar, and sake in a bowl.
  • Melted the butter in a saucepan on med low.
  • Added the minced garlic into the butter and sautéed until they started to give that wonderful nutty scent (about 2 minutes).
  • Poured in the balsamic vinegar blueberries mix from the bowl and stirred regularly.
  • Zested the lemon into the pan. Then sliced the lemon and squeezed juice into the pan with the glaze.
  • Then Low simmered the sauce for 30 minutes to reduce down and make balsamic reduction. Stirred often.
  • When the blueberries were soft, I used a spoon to squish most of the berries against the saucepan, I left it clumpy on purpose for texture. When sauce was sticking to back of spoon I put burner on lowest setting to keep warm before serving.

252E5B97-79A8-4891-A382-FA003DF52C58.jpeg
6C0C7BDE-02DF-4F56-B16A-616C985432C6.jpeg

In between I made some herb mashed potatoes that have become pretty standard for meals like this!

Plated and absolutely delicious!
6F5E3A21-A600-45EA-90D2-1AFD7D078432.jpeg

This was an incredible dish. The elk is so soft with a clean game flavor. The balsamic blueberry enhanced it perfectly and the garlic herb potatoes gave a wonderful, rich base. Justin provided my family a unique and incredible meal that we will long remember! Thank you again Brother!

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
That looks awesome Jed! That Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ dude just knows no bounds! Kinda spoils a guy! I'm just curious...how did you lick the last of the sauce out of the pot?

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
That looks awesome Jed! That Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ dude just knows no bounds! Kinda spoils a guy! I'm just curious...how did you lick the last of the sauce out of the pot?

Ryan
🤣I’m feeling a bit spoiled now! I did lick the last bit off the plate. No pride😃 I think this sauce will go great with pork too! I appreciate it Ryan!
Oh HELL YEAH! I'm salivating here Jed! Right in my wheel house....my kinda meal! Nicely executed.
Very appreciated! It’s been too long since I’ve had the opportunity for wild game and you’ve been killing me with your cooks! It’s awesome to finally get a taste again!
Whoa! That looks like a royal family meal at a hunting lodge. Very nice work.
Thank you Sven! I appreciate it! It definitely felt like a royal hunting lodge cook, I don’t think I’ve ever cooked so high end🤣

That looks fantastic Jed, I could go for a plate of that anytime.

Love the Blueberry sauce
Don't knock your Sheppard's pie, :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: it looked great and this is right up there with it :emoji_yum::emoji_yum:
I would stand in line for either
( I have not jumped into the SV pool yet... still holding out )

I have made a Blueberry sauce to go over herbed chicken breasts, mmmm

David

( in the 2nd last sentence you say Blackberry, just a heads up , I know you meant Blue )

Oh baby!! Far and again one of the most decadent looking meals I've seen here. That is truly top a notch, 5-star culinary experience. I have to agree with your sentiments regarding Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ He is a great person and a true testament to the great people in this forum. I too have been on the receiving end of his elk bounty in the past and it is amazing stuff. Congrats to you and the family on an exquisite meal and kudos to Justin for helping to make it happen.

Robert

Hell Yeah!
That's a helluva plate, I bet that was some grade AAA eats.
Thank you Chille! It was pretty phenomenal! I still have some left, I was thinking of modifying a version Barbacoa. It’s an amazing and strong flavor that would stand up well! I appreciate your time and compliment!
Jed, I have some pheasant breasts in the freezer. I think I'll give that blueberry sauce a go when I cook them.
I can’t wait to see that one! That sauce will go well with any wild game!
That looks fantastic Jed, I could go for a plate of that anytime.

Love the Blueberry sauce
Don't knock your Sheppard's pie, :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: it looked great and this is right up there with it :emoji_yum::emoji_yum:
I would stand in line for either
( I have not jumped into the SV pool yet... still holding out )

I have made a Blueberry sauce to go over herbed chicken breasts, mmmm

David

( in the 2nd last sentence you say Blackberry, just a heads up , I know you meant Blue )
🤣Thank you for your time and compliment David! I edited blackberry and appreciate the catch! That sauce is incredible, there is a lot I’d like to use it on now, herb chicken sounds awesome! My wife was thinking pork too! You’re welcome anytime, no need to stand in line!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Bravo Jed!
Going SV then searing is a safe way to prevent overcooking. I learned long ago that it cooks way faster than beef, as does bison.

Forgot to mention I saw this today. They have been working for years if not decades to reestablish the elk population south in the valley. I believe this is the second lottery. $15.00 gets you a chance for 1 of 5 permits....

• Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky