• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

SV Balls Really Do Work Well

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I decided to test out another SV gadget.... namely SV balls. These are 3/4" and are very thick. They really work great, in fact you can set your hand right on top of the balls and not feel any heat at all. My Rubbermaid container has a lid with a cutout for my circulator, but for anything else I now have another option. These should work great for my Coleman Party Stacker Cooler.

AbS06Oj.jpg

agaffer

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 2, 2020
I am with SmokingUPnorth, something to do with keeping something warm? Ok, have to see what Mr. Google has to say about this.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
I beleive they form an insulating blanket to keep the heat in.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Evaporation is the main thing those Balls stop.
It works just like a Lid. If you have a lid on your set-up, you don't need them.
My Sous Vide Supreme has a lid, and I never have to add any water.

Bear

Inscrutable

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2019
Evaporation is the main thing those Balls stop.
It works just like a Lid. If you have a lid on your set-up, you don't need them.
My Sous Vide Supreme has a lid, and I never have to add any water.

Bear
Same here with my Everlie hot tub. Water level never drops. The lid also cuts a bit back on heat loss, but the immersion heater just works less than it would otherwise. Even if it had to run full tilt boogie for a 50 hour cook iTS only a few bucks of power ...

agaffer

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 2, 2020
You cook in your hot tub? Talk about a duel purpose piece of equipment.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Same here with my Everlie hot tub. Water level never drops. The lid also cuts a bit back on heat loss, but the immersion heater just works less than it would otherwise. Even if it had to run full tilt boogie for a 50 hour cook iTS only a few bucks of power ...
I never thought about cost per hour, and I do have an AC line splitter that lets me use my clamp meter to measure amps. I'll have to dig that out on my next SV cook.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I never thought about cost per hour, and I do have an AC line splitter that lets me use my clamp meter to measure amps. I'll have to dig that out on my next SV cook.

That would be interesting.
I have no idea how much mine runs because it makes absolutely No Sound.
It just keeps it between 0.2 below & 0.2 above the set-point.

Bear

Last edited:

dr k

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 22, 2013
If the 1,000 watt SV ran an hour not cycling, then 1 kwh. I pay $.12/kwh including taxes etc. My bill divided by kwh used. Pennies to run and electric smokers.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.