Surgery #3 for 2022 is this week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man thats some high dollar stuff in them bags. My oldest son works for a company that produces those parts. Amazing what they charge for them.
Glad all went well and hopefully healing will be quick and non-eventful
Jim
Thank Jim, the first I have implants removed it was pretty easy. Just a little sore on day two, I think this will be a pretty smooth one provided there are no mishaps. Picking up a ankle stirrup brace to make sure I dont misstep and crank it real hard side to side for the the first couple weeks.

Reactions: JLeonard
awesome that things went well, hope the recovery goes quickly for you too!
Thank you, it’s the taking it easy I struggle with. Not a take it slow and easy kinda guy, but this needs some time to heal.

I had the implants taken out early to save money on the ins. technically they shoulda been in there till early feb…

Update, Surgery went well, flying home after went pretty well too. Used the Delta wheelchair service (free) for a free wheelchair ride from ticketing to gate and gate to curb. SO NICE! Feels pretty darn good this morning too. Cant go snowboarding for a while but walking and biking is a go. I appreciate all the kind words and support. Emotionally is was a touch stressful, and thankful the physical is not bad.

Here‘s my bag of spendy parts.
View attachment 649835
That reminds me of when I was a kid building model cars. I wonder if you Doc went to the same grade school I did.

Glad to hear your doing well Dave, I'm sure the healing process will go by quickly.

Chris

That reminds me of when I was a kid building model cars. I wonder if you Doc went to the same grade school I did.

Glad to hear your doing well Dave, I'm sure the healing process will go by quickly.

Chris
Many thanks Chris! I would have liked to see a video of them breaking out the power tools to unscrew all that. Gotta be very similar to wood working…because that’s what it looks like to me. Probably not a DeWalt tho. Bahaha

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
David
This has been a long haul for you. Glad things are looking well.

Update, Surgery went well, flying home after went pretty well too. Used the Delta wheelchair service (free) for a free wheelchair ride from ticketing to gate and gate to curb. SO NICE!

Here‘s my bag of spendy parts.
Used the wrong key strokes again.
I've used the all the airline extras for years. When the kids were younger we made them bend over. We're paying a hefty fare for a light weight. (In air traffic weight is money.)

I hope you're not saving those spare parts for a future episode.

Removing plate and open holes from the screws are going to take more than a few weeks to fill in. If they were supposed to stay until February, maybe February is the target date to try hitting the slopes?
Stay well stay safe

Last edited:
At least the hardware is coming out rather than going in. Will be thinking about you, keep us up to date.

Dave i feel your pain, I had three in one week. A total knee replacement and two for compartment syndrome. Positive attitude and thinking about your next cook will make it easier. Good luck, let us know how you do.

Shaun

I hear ya! I dont have any imaging from the first implant in and out procedure, but I did get a fluoroscope (i think thats what is is) image from the OR showing no metal which is reassuring. I have read of screws breaking on removal and such too. both times I asked for all the parts to take home. I mean I paid for them. Now I have two bags of them… Wonder how many I will end up with in all the years to come?

Also, if you get a chance, look closely at how the screws protrude through the bones:
When I screw 2 hardwood pieces together, I measure first. Then if I want to screw a 3/8" piece to a 3/4" piece, I'll use 1" screws, so that the tip of the screw will stop within the second 3/4" wood piece. Not the Doctor that screwed the bar to my leg bones. He shot the screws right through, leaving the sharp points sticking out the other side of the split bone, in my flesh. This was put in 35 years ago, and I can still feel & count all 6 screw heads, through the surface of my leg.
I'm glad I built my own Kitchen Cabinets, because this guy would never be allowed near my Kitchen, with a screwdriver in his hand!

Bear

• Haha
Reactions: HalfSmoked
Also, if you get a chance, look closely at how the screws protrude through the bones:
When I screw 2 hardwood pieces together, I measure first. Then if I want to screw a 3/8" piece to a 3/4" piece, I'll use 1" screws, so that the tip of the screw will stop within the second 3/4" wood piece. Not the Doctor that screwed the bar to my leg bones. He shot the screws right through, leaving the sharp points sticking out the other side of the split bone, in my flesh. This was put in 35 years ago, and I can still feel & count all 6 screw heads, through the surface of my leg.
I'm glad I built my own Kitchen Cabinets, because this guy would never be allowed near my Kitchen, with a screwdriver in his hand!
Pretty much the same here. A couple went further through than I would have liked to see, I could feel all the screw heads easily. One was super annoying as it was on the front of my tibia. So happy they are all out now.

Yeah the surgery suck but sometimes we need them

GL and heal up.

Good luck & speedy healing!
I’m sure you will get some good drugs to keep you happy!
Al
Dump the drugs when they release you from the hospital. The hospital will fill you with strong opiates that are hard to get off of when you are home. I hope this is not your case, but I have personal experience with this from a very close loved one.

David hope the surgery went well and your healing up with no problems.
I managed to just have surgery on both eyes to remove cataracts in 22 but already have surgery scheduled for Jan of 23

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky