Surfing and Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandiegosmokin

Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hi from sunny San Diego! Seasoned grilled, but brand new to smoking! Just bought a Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Electric Smoker with the intent to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving this year. Today I decided to attempt a 3.5 lb brisket using solaryellow's rub and method.

When I'm not smoking, I enjoy surfing, hiking and long walks on the beach. Really excited to utilize our year round mild temps to smoke meats on the regular. Look forward to discussing and learning on here!

I've found a few already, but if anyone has any good suggestions on Turkey specific methods or recipes on here, please let me know. Thanks and happy smoking!

Dave

Dave
welcome1.gif

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Welcome from Canada, Dave. 

canada-flag-68.gif

I have only been smoking for a year so I will not tell you how I do turkey. However, I have done one and learned there is a lot of variety in methods and tastes. I suggest you read a few posts and pick one that looks like your style.

Disco

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything  ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Fired up the smoker for the first time ever on Sunday...was really excited!

Here's my first creation, a 3.5# brisket, using solaryellow's rub http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ood-sliced-brisket-defies-conventional-wisdom

Came out pretty well!  Smoked it for about 9 hours at about 230, nice layer of fat on the topside.  Only let it sit for about an hour double wrapped in foil in a cooler because my kickoff invitees were pretty hangry at this point and I'd grossly misjudged the timeframe by about two hours already haha.

Nice crust, was juicy and tender for the most part...the thinner part was a little tougher, plus I'm not sure I cut across the grain correctly...and as you can see, lots of juice spilling out when I cut it, which I think is partly due to only waiting an hour with it wrapped up rather than 2, but, all in all, delicious and made about 10 people very happy!

Only thing I could see that needs improvement is  -----------------  Calling me to come over and help you eat all that good looking BBQ   be sure and post Turkey pictures  Good Luck

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky