Surf & Turf.....It's what's for dinner! with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

callahan4life

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Callahan, Florida
We wanted something quick for dinner and since we haven’t had steak in a while we decided that was just the ticket. We picked up a couple of Porterhouse steaks at Winn Dixie. I prefer a steak to be about one inch thick but these ½ inch cuts was all they had.

139ef285_002.jpg

While we were there we picked up a couple of 5 ounce Bohemian Lobster Tails. I’ve never grilled lobster before so this should be interesting.

6c5f1fc4_003.jpg

a849bb1b_001.jpg

We seasoned up the steaks with some Winn Dixie brand “Robust Steak Grilling Seasoning” that I had in the cabinet from a sale a few weeks ago.

8dac1dd9_004.jpg

After seasoning we let them sit out, to get the chill off of them while we prepared the grill and lobster tails.

78258f76_008.jpg

0ec92c0b_007.jpg

0da82ca7_009.jpg

We cut the belly membrane/shell from the lobster tails. My thinking was this would keep the thick/top shell intact and serve as a bowl for the meat. We had some left over garlic butter, via a local pizza joint, from dinner a few nights ago. We poured about 2 tablespoons of the garlic butter onto the belly-side of each of the lobster tails (directly on the meat and into the shell). We then set them aside and got the 22 1/2 inch Weber One Touch Gold Charcoal Kettle Grill ready.

We used my favorite “go-to” charcoal, Kingsford Mesquite. We filled up my Weber Rapidfire Chimney with charcoal and fired it off with a couple of sheets of rolled up newspaper. When the coals were ready we spread them out covering half of the grill grate. The steaks were placed on the hot grate for three minutes to sear.

0a5b2848_010.jpg

e8bd0a9b_011.jpg

9b6f8fbd_012.jpg

The steaks were then turned over, again directly over the hot coals to sear the other side.

a2591a36_013.jpg

639d176c_014.jpg

cf9b7901_015.jpg

At this time we also put some Worcestershire sauce on them.  

e338a552_016.jpg

4feb1440_017.jpg

808f6f80_018.jpg

17488f6a_019.jpg

After three minutes the steaks were moved to the cool side of the grill (indirect heat). The lobster tails were placed on the grate, directly over the hot coals shell/back side down. The garlic butter caused a momentary flame flare up, but it did not hurt anything.

dff72812_020.jpg

63cb3ed3_021.jpg

873f97a8_022.jpg

We covered with the grill lid with air intake and exhaust wide open. After five minutes we turned the lobster tails over (belly/meat side) down and put the lid back on for another five minutes.
df4cca3d_023.jpg

We then removed everything from the grill.

c997cb82_025.jpg

17013343_026.jpg

c7ec1fec_027.jpg

We paired them with a baked potato and dinner was served.

The steaks (because they were a thin cut) were done to a medium-well, just what the wife likes. I prefer medium but they were still very juicy and tasted delicious. The lobster tails were great. The shells had a little char to them but the meat was moist and sweet. I think I could cut the cooking time back to about four minutes each side instead of five. I will try that next time. Oh yea, there will be a next time this meal was GREAT!  

AND NOW THE MONEY SHOTS!
drool.gif

add8a311_028.jpg

82ef8506_032.jpg

41dffe40_030.jpg

200554cc_029.jpg

f153d606_031.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the ride!

Looks awesome
bravo.png
    but my invitation must have gotten lost
biggrin.gif

Theres something in the air in florida...............Smoke!..........................Nice job

Looking good man. Love me some grilled lobster  

That all looks a gazillion times better than the bacon and eggs I had for dinner!  YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM

I've only had lobster once in my life and after seeing that, I'm going to have to pick osme up.  Looks awesome!

Looks real good from here!!!

And I agree with Willie---Good price for tails that nice!

Bear

[quote name="Bearcarver" url="/forum/thread/105062/surf-turf-it-s-what-s-for-dinner-with-q-view#post_615468"]
Looks real good from here!!!

And I agree with Willie---Good price for tails that nice!

Bear
[/quote]

That is a pretty good price. It is about $.40/lb cheaper than what I see around here. I'm partial to South African lobster tails but that's expensive and can be hard to find (Wegmans carries them).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky