Surf & Turf For 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
It's not very often around my house that it's only my wife and myself here for supper, but yesterday was such a day. So I got to thinking about what to cook for us and remembered a couple of T-bones from a friend and special forum member who will remain anonymous :emoji_laughing:. I had 2 left that I was waiting on a special occasion to cook them and thought that this was a perfect opportunity. My wife loves scallops too so here goes the surf & turf...

The lineup...
20220816_152846[1].jpg

The steak was simply seasoned with SPOG and left to rest on the counter. The red potatoes were a recipe I printed off of the interweb some time ago, but I don't know where...
- 4 red potatoes cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- Juice from ½ lemon, but I used the whole lemon (What was I going to do with ½ lemon?:emoji_laughing:)
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese. I used a combination of store bought Asiago and Romano because I had it.
Put the potatoes in a casserole dish. Combine the other ingredients well and pour over the potatoes, stirring to coat them well. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bake in a 400℉ oven for about an hour or until fork tender. Remove cover and sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes. I probably used more than ½ cup, but how much is too much cheese? Bake another 10-15 minutes until all starts to turn a golden color...
20220816_170250[1].jpg

20220816_170423[1].jpg

20220816_184937[1].jpg

Back to the steak. Reverse seared to an I.T. of 115℉ then over the hot lump to sear until about 125℉. Then another rest...
20220816_182827[1].jpg

20220816_182914[1].jpg

20220816_184538[1].jpg

Now the surf...scallops. Seasoned with Kinder's Cali's Blackened...
20220816_171445[1].jpg

Pan seared in EVOO with a TBSP of butter until blackened to our desired color on both sides...
20220816_185931[1].jpg

Made us a salad...
20220816_170917[1].jpg

Sliced the steak...
20220816_184734[1].jpg

Time to eat...
20220816_190704[1].jpg

It felt strange not having some of the family here for supper, but it was nice to share the evening with just my wife as that doesn't happen very often.

We like the lemony taste of the potatoes, but if you don't care for that, cut back on the lemon or cut it out completely.

A BIG THANK YOU to the special forum member tx smoker tx smoker who so graciously gave me the steak. It was extremely flavorful and tender and I still have 1 left for the next special occasion :emoji_wink:...

Wow Charles!! First off, you are more than welcome my friend. It is an honor to be even a small part of a special dinner. Secondly, you absolutely nailed that steak. Looks nothing short of perfect and the whole meal is just astonishing. Beautiful job sir and glad you and your wife had an occasion to just enjoy each other as well as a nice meal.

Robert

What a delicious looking meal, steak is perfect and like the potatoes. Nice cook, and I’ll gladly take the scraps if there are any!

Great looking meal all around, Charles
Thank you, Cliff!
super looking steak and the whole meal looks delicious!! thanks for sharing !
Thank you for the comments and compliments, they are much appreciated...
Looks like a delicious meal that was cooked perfectly. Nice job Charles
I appreciate your kind words...
Great looking meal. And it is always nice to share a meal with just the bride. Although I will say...I'd 3rd wheel on your date for a bite of that steak!.
Jim
Thanks, Jim. After 40 years and 4 granddaughters, we don't have very much time just the two of us. But we're OK with that and the time we get to spend alone, we love having family over as much as possible...
As fine a meal as has ever been prepared, nice wotk there Charles! RAY
It was pretty good just the time with just us, Ray. Thank you!!

Reactions: JLeonard
Great Meal Charles and the potatoes , Perfect. I will have to try them that way.

David
Thank you, David. Try the potatoes and let me know what you think...
Very delicious looking meal, Charles! Steaks look scrumptious and love the colorful salad.
Mark, we love our salad and I try to include most of our favorite items in them. Thanks so much...
Mighty fine job Charles! It all looks delicious! Now move over Jim...this tricycle just turned into a 4 wheeler! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Thanks a bunch, Ryan. You can park right beside Jim...:emoji_wink:

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Great meal Charles. Steak cooked perfectly and those potatoes look interesting. Might give that a try, but less cheese as we're on strict diets, and have been very bad the last month or so, lol. Nice work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky