Supply Disruptions...Hogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Covid was bound to cause disruptions in supplies, demand, transportation, etc. End result is a lot more price volatility than normal. The best way to help the situation (and also help your own finances, incidentally) is to shop the sales.
As others have noted, I still sometimes see deals on certain meats and certain cuts so I buy some extra for the freezer.
If something seems high, I don't buy it. Maybe someone else really needs it...they can have it. And certainly don't stock up on something that's priced in a manner indicating scarcity.
It's not about being cheap, but about wisely using demand to smooth out ripples in supply. So buy the product with the apparent surplus. If chicken is $4/# and beef is $6/#, buy the beef...it's at a good price and the chicken price is excessive.

I agree we don't want this discussion to go political but one more point about labor...I've witnessed more than a couple instances where Covid made folks re-assess their lives and either choose Retirement or to work less and pursue more education. I don't fault either one of these choices. But it does leave holes in the job market that can drive up wages and prices. I can feel for those of fixed incomes that were already struggling. But I'm hoping that, like meat and produce prices, things will come back into equilibrium and we'll all be at least a little bit better off for it. God bless us all.

Covid was bound to cause disruptions in supplies, demand, transportation, etc. End result is a lot more price volatility than normal. The best way to help the situation (and also help your own finances, incidentally) is to shop the sales.
As others have noted, I still sometimes see deals on certain meats and certain cuts so I buy some extra for the freezer.
If something seems high, I don't buy it. Maybe someone else really needs it...they can have it. And certainly don't stock up on something that's priced in a manner indicating scarcity.
It's not about being cheap, but about wisely using demand to smooth out ripples in supply. So buy the product with the apparent surplus. If chicken is $4/# and beef is $6/#, buy the beef...it's at a good price and the chicken price is excessive.

I agree we don't want this discussion to go political but one more point about labor...I've witnessed more than a couple instances where Covid made folks re-assess their lives and either choose Retirement or to work less and pursue more education. I don't fault either one of these choices. But it does leave holes in the job market that can drive up wages and prices. I can feel for those of fixed incomes that were already struggling. But I'm hoping that, like meat and produce prices, things will come back into equilibrium and we'll all be at least a little bit better off for it. God bless us all.

Well said!

We’re all waiting for microchips and hogs to get back up to full production.

Nice cool afternoon yesterday so we smoked a few sides and made it do our favorite desert bars Thursday social potluck.
396ED370-1FE0-4C5C-AA44-308CC7A6F2EE.jpeg

Reactions: JC in GB
Just for my own info , are the chickens a brand name ?
$.99 a pound for Tyson whole chickens and legs is a good price around here .
About 2 weeks ago GFS had legs and thighs for $.79 a pound . So I grabbed a several trays . These just said " Chicken " on the package . Not a brand name .
Chopsaw, the brand name on mine is Heritage Farm, which I believe is owned by Kroger.

Chopsaw, the brand name on mine is Heritage Farm, which I believe is owned by Kroger.
These say " Chicken Thighs " or " Chicken Drums " In 2 " black letters . I'll have to look and see if it has a distribution tag on it . Just maybe doesn't make the grade to say Tyson or Heritage . I won't be grilling anymore of them . Might do some SV bone it fried chicken or crock pot . I'll use them for sure .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky