Super Stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dacdots

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 3, 2005
Ripley WV
Hey,here is a stuffer for you.This item cost about $900.00 new but I snagged it at a flea market for $50.00.She will hold 25# of meat at a time.It had no stuffer tubes so I recruited some pipe fitters at work to make a set out of stainless steel for me.I almost felt bad about getting such a deal.....almost.
baad0149_vbattach10413.jpg

Dac, glad you didn't let guilt overshadow the feeling ya got for snagging that deal. You gonna make them fellers some sausage to show your apperciation for their help?? (Not trying to make you feel TOO guilty now :D )

So what kind of sausage are you making? And what's the recipe???

Now I understand why you need a grinder that will do seven pounds a minute! Congratulations on a great snag!
Monty

Hey there Dutch.the product in the pic are slim jims.or as I like to call them,not so slim jims.I usually use deer for these or a mixyure of deer and beef.I dont mind sharing the recipe as I got it from "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas.By the way the big ugly hillbilly in the pic is yours truley.

Ingredients for 25 lbs.

5 tsp. Instacure #1
2/3 cup paprik1 cup ground mustard
2 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
2 1/2 tsp. ground celery
2 1/2 Tbs. groung mace
1 Tbs. granulated garlic
3/4 cups salt
3/4 cups powdered dextrose [ corn sugar]
3 3/4 cups fermento[ordered from The Sausage Maker]

MEAT

Dried sausage sticks are made of any type of lean meat.The ratio is about 80% lean meat 20% fat.I hate to use fat but if you dont you end up with a dry product.

PROCESSING

Meat is chilled to 30 to 32 degrees so that it will not smear when run through a 3/16 grinder plate.It is then well mixed for several minutes.This is very important so that you will get even flavoring throughout your product.I then stuff the mixture into a 22 to 25 mm edible collagen casing.Cut your sticks into desired lengths,I prefer about 6".Meat is then placed into a smokhouse at 98 to 110 degrees with cold smoke applied for 6 to 8 hours.The longer you smoke them the more tangy flavor you get.I have smoked them as long as 12 hours,being carefull not to drie them out too much.Raise temps in the smoker until internal temps of the meat reach 145 degrees.Store in a glass canning jar with holes poked in the lid in the fridge.If I have a large batch that I want to save I wrap them in plastic wrap and then into a freezer bag and freeze them.It seems the longer they are froze the better the flavor gets.

Here is a recipe I like a lot for summer sausage.

SUMMER SAUSAGE

INGREDIENTS FOT 10 LBS.

2 tsp. Instacure #1
1 Tbs.ground black pepper
3 Tbs. ground mustard
2 Tbs. groung nutmeg
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cups of salt
4 tbs. powdered dextrose[corn sugar]
1 1/2 cups fermento [ordered from The Sausage Maker]
8 lbs meat of your choice
2 lbs. beef or pork fat

GRINDING

Grind the meat then the fat through a 3/16 grinder plate.I mix all the dry ingredents then add them to about 2 cups of water and mix well.Pour the mixture over the meat and mix VERY good.Refrigerate meat at 38 to 40 degrees overnight.The next day regrind the meat and stuff into desired casings,I use 2 1/2 inch by 24 inch fiberous casings.The casings you use need to be tough enough to withstand the weight while hanging in the smokehouse.Stuff tightly into your casings making sure to eliminate any air pockets.

SMOKING AND COOKING
After stuffing allow to dry at room temp for 4 to 5 hours and wipe to dry.
Place into smokehouse preheated to120 to 130 degrees.I hang them with a string which is crimped onto the hog ring that was used to seal the end of the sausage.Apply a heavy smudge at this temp for 3 to 4 hours.Raise the temp to 165 and cook until the internal temp of the meat is 145 degrees.After cooking shower with cold water until the internal temp is 120 degrees.Allow to hang at room temp for a couple of hours until full bloom is obtained.After this refrigerate.If you want to save longer wrap in plastic wrap and freezer paper and freeze.It is very important to keep well sealed even while in the fridge as you are using to keep from drying out.ENJOY

Not so thin "Slim Jims" huh? It looks like the right size for a Manly sized snack to me. :D Thanks for sharing the recipe. I had Ry's book around here for a while but the library wanted it back :P The Summer Sausage looks good too.

If you get to feeling too guilty about it I will help you out and give you $50.00 for it. :D :D

Hey there,I take it you mean when meat comes out around the piston while your stuffing.My stuffers piston has a round gasket which sits in a groove around the egde of it.Ive never had this problem before,I also spray everything down with vegetable oil before stuffing.If I new what kind of stuffer you had or could see a pic of it I might understand better.Ive saw stuffers with a metal piston and they say to prevent this to put a baggie on thr piston to help seal it.If you need anything more let me know,David
e696ea81_vbattach10583.jpg

We actually manufacture our own stuffer, which is also sold through Cabela's. Our pistons also have a rubber O-ring in a groove around the edge of the piston, and it only seems to be with our snack stick funnel that we build up too much pressure and get blow-by. Was just wondering if you had that same problem, I'll let them know about the vegitable oil tip though :)

Eric
IT Manager
Weston Supply - http://www.westonsupply.com/

Eric does your piston have a pressure release mechanism in it?Look at the pic that is the round green rubber unit you see on the right side top.It allows built up pressure to escape while your stuffing.I know sometimes when its not in quite right the pressure will buid up so much thats its hard to turn the crank handle.Something else Ive learned is when loading meat into the hopper you need to pack it down with a stomper or your hand to eleminate air pockets in the meat.I have hit air pockets at times when I dont get them all out and busted casings and blowed meat everywhere.

hi david and eric

i have the verticle weston 11 pound stuffer the problem eric is talking about on the stuffer i think is caused be the rubber gasket i see on your stuffer your gasket is a solid round rubber gasket the weston gasket is a gasket that is shaped like a U shape the outside or meat side is a thinner rubber then what fits into the piston when the piston pushes down with the small stuffing tube it builds up enough pressure to cause the u shaped gasket to want to roll causing the meat to blow by the piston eric i think you have a great product its just that you should look into getting a gasket like what david has on his stuffer i think it will work a lot better and david the weston stuffer does have a preasure relief valve on it like yours
salmonclubber

Salmonclubber,
Thanks for your input! I'll pass the info along to our engineers, and see if something like that can be worked out. Glad you like the product anyway!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky