Super Lean Brisket - Cooking wayyy too fast - HELP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duckskin

Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
First time poster and first time brisket smoker here. 

I've smoked quite a bit of pork and chicken in a weber smokey mountain over the past couple of years. Yesterday I purchased a Lyfe Tyme 16" smoker and am trying it out this morning. My wife bought a very lean ~6lb brisket (1/2 brisket) from a local grass-fed farm. [Not interested in discussing types of smokers or grass-fed vs corn LOL]. I trimmed it up last night, and left it uncovered in the fridge overnight. The already minuscule amount of fat on the top side nearly vanished when I pulled it out this morning. Nevertheless, I added my dry rub, got the smoker to temp ~275 degrees, and put it on the grill. After 40 minutes, I checked the temps and it is already 140 degrees! I choked back the intake and am now trying to smoke at around 225. I am very tempted to run to the store and pick up another brisket fearing this one is ruined. Should i go ahead and wrap it now? Am i overreacting? Please help.

Is it a flat or a half of a packer?

I see this is your first post, so when you get a chance, swing by Roll Call & introduce yourself!

Al

It is fine.  There's nothing magical about 225F chamber temp.  Before I started smoking meat, I cooked briskets in the oven at 350F and they came out tender and juicy.  All temperature does is mess with your timing.  Hotter equals shorter cook/smoke. 

275F is fine for a brisket.  Use the same target IT and probe test to determine when it is done. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky