Super Bowl DINO BBQ RIBS!!! First Time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rippinntearin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
Morning Everyone!

Given yesterday was the Super Bowl and I live in Tampa I decided to make something special for my wife and kids. My wife is a born and raised Tampa native and a huge Bucs fan so I decided on some Dino beef ribs for us. BTW...I grew in Soflo so the Dolphins is where my allegiance is...10-6 and missed the playoffs...just saying. Plus we decided not to partake in some of the Super Bowl parties we were invited to so we could actually watch the game vs entertain/socialize (usually we host a party). Regardless, I've never made these before, however I've read and read and read on what to do. I basically trimmed the excess fat, seasoned with salt, a little Montreal steak seasoning, and red pepper...done. Kept it simple. On the smoke at 275-300 for 3 hours and then pulled and put in a tin for 3 more hours with beef broth to reduce. Hot damn!!! I say Hot damn these were juicy! As everyone says it a brisket on a stick...but to me it was more of the point texture/flavor than the flat of a brisket. I'll definitely do these again, probably go for a bigger slab next time. This slab was just over 4lbs from our local meat market. I didn't opt for the Snake River slabs which were much more expensive and I didn't want to mess up my first try.

As an added bonus I made a quick 1/2 slab of baby backs for my kids which they devoured (they're young, 4 & 6 years old). On the BB's I don't foil, just let them roll for 4-5 hrs, we like a little bite, especially the kids. Still juicy and smoky!

Also, all done on just an 22 inch Webber Kettle and the snake method. I have a UDS but I really need to clean it, burn it out again, and restore it.

Thanks for looking!

Rip
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
9.jpg
7.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg

Great looking ribs. Nice job on the seasoning, too. Light is best!

Congrats to your wife on her team winning! Tampa is on a championship run this past year in sports. I wonder if KC's game got lost in baggage claim because they sure didn't bring it to the stadium. But you, sir, delivered the yummies that outshined BOTH teams!

Mighty fine eating there. Like how you didnt muddy that plate up with a lot of green stuff. Stuck to the basics...Meat and potatoes!
Jim

Reactions: 912smoker
Very nicely done. Those look fantastic. I would take one of them for sure. Mmm...

Happy wife happy life. Must have been a pretty good evening!

Those look great! I'd say you nailed it for your 1st time!

Ryan

Looks delicious. You did great, especially for your first time. Great job.

Those look awesome. I’d agree when comparing to brisket they are more similar to the point. I’d take point over flat any day.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky