Super Bowl Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flash

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Chiefland/Cedar Key, Fl
 I've offered tips on how to make a Brisket, but had only do one myself to date. Today I decided to change that. Got a nice 13 1/2 lb Full Packer at Wal-mart a while back. On sale for $18.00. Couldn't pass it up.

Since I have a GOSM vertical, I have to cut the Packer in two. Instead of professionally separating the Point and Flat, Chef Jimmy told me to just cut them in two, straight across the middle. Trim some of the excess fat, but leave more than I was use to. Marinaded it over night in Hickory Allegro.

95827247_MarinadedPoint0128.jpg

Used Jeff's Rub along with some Montreal Steak Seasonings. Here is the Point and Flat

23357c12_PointRubbed0130.jpg

13a4400a_FlatRubbed0131.jpg

Since the Flat is thinner than the Point, I started the Point at 8:15 AM and put the Flat on at 10 AM. Hopes were they might come off around the same time.

b9e172ad_SweetOnion0132.jpg

Also did up a sweet onion to go with the meat. The longer you smoke these the better.

My first Brisket had got done too soon. Only took around 7 hour or so. It was still good, but I wanted better. Keep the heat lower this time, between 210º and 225º.

f23f483e_SmokingAway0133.jpg

I was using a mixture of Pecan and Oak for this smoke. Brisket is looking good.

Around 3 PM, I finally reached 160º internal. Time for the wrap.

0232b78c_BrisketPrewrapped134.jpg

Poured a little beef broth and some BBQ sauce down the center.

The Flat managed 160º internal after One Hour more. 

What surprised me was that I had timed the placement on the smoker, of each section perfectly. Both pieces reach 190º internal at 5:45 PM

1397fdee_FlatReady0138.jpg

We decided on the flat after a 1 hour rest in a cooler. Figured to pull the Point a little later during Half Time. Man, look at that juice.

09cc9eed_FlatCarved0142.jpg

We reserved the broth and dripping from the foil. I was going to do some Sammies, but they can come later.

52066b3c_Dinner0144.jpg

We had also put a drip pan underneath the Brisket and placed some New Potatoes in it. Man, those things were nasty good.

9c3f54aa_PointPulled0146.jpg

Later on, after the game, I pulled the Point. Wow, great game, great meal and GREAT Brisket.  Next time we will try some more goodies in the drip pan.

So all in all, it took the Point 9 1/2 hours (figured it was in the 8 1/2 lb range) and the Flat (around 5 lbs) 7 hours 45 minutes. Overall I was very pleased with the results. Thanks again Jimmy.

FANTASTIC JOB!...That looks really Juicy and I'm glad the taters came out so good...What was the little Brown Nugget and other stuff you added to the Onion?...JJ

FANTASTIC JOB!...That looks really Juicy and I'm glad the taters came out so good...What was the little Brown Nugget and other stuff you added to the Onion?...JJ

I just squirt some butter, add some minced garlic and a beef bullion cube to the onion.

I will add my drip pan was successful for catching the drips and flavoring the taters, but failed to hold the juice at a temp low enough to keep it from burning. I had it above the water pan, but it still was to easy for it to crust over in the later stages.

Last edited:
Great looking Brisket.  Next time you can put a little beef stock in the drip pan to keep it from drying out too much and it makes great broth  

Jimmy,

When did you throw the taters in? How long did they cook under the brisket? I like that idea, gonna have to try that one next time. Looks great..

Man that looks good!  I have a brisket in the freezer just waiting, ...maybe next weekend.

Thank you for the taters and onion tip, I've always wondered about taters in a pan, did you smoke them whole or cut in half and I love onions, this is definetly on the to do "soon" list.

Gene

Jimmy,

When did you throw the taters in? How long did they cook under the brisket? I like that idea, gonna have to try that one next time. Looks great..

No, Jimmy gave me the tips. My name is Dave. These were the small New Potatoes. I did not wrap them in foil, like I do Russets. I just keep checking them with a sharp knife to see when they were tender. I would guess they were on for 6 hours, really could have pulled them at 4 1/2 to 5. The juice dripping over the skin was fantastic in flavor. Wife went crazy over it. They were done whole, but then sliced when she went to rewarm them for dinner.  I did add a tater rub on the potatoes.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky