• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sunday Wheat Bread

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Made a couple loafs of wheat bread out of Ken Forkish's book Flour Water Salt Yeast. These require an overnight proof in the fridge. Its always a good way to start the day having the house smell like fresh bread. I couldn't find our second proofing basket so one loaf proofed in a mixing bowl. Cooked both in a cast iron dutch oven. Vac packed one loaf and froze it.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Fantastic .

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Nothing like fresh baked bread

Gary

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Tear off a hunk and wash it down with some ........

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Nothing like fresh baked bread

Gary
Totally agree. I don't know if this is Weird but, ever since I was a kid, I can only eat Refer Cold Hard Butter on Hot Bread or Rolls. It's a combo of the temp contrast and the hard Butter against the soft bread....JJ

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
That is some BEAUTIFUL bread. Very nice work.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Wow that looks awesome! Nothing like homemade bread! Yum!

BuckeyeSteve

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 17, 2018
Looks really tasty.
That would make a great bread bowl for a spinach dip, or clam chowder if it’s dense enough.

Joined Feb 9, 2020
Could you please give the recipe? I know it's a noob question, but it looks so fluffy and good, mine never comes out like this.

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Could you please give the recipe? I know it's a noob question, but it looks so fluffy and good, mine never comes out like this.

Books and other printed material are under copyright laws and can't be reprinted....

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Buy The book it is well worth it. Not only for the recipes in it but the explanations of teh techniques that Ken uses. He truly is a bread master. Has really increased my bread making skills. When you buy the book make sure and get a good digital scale if you don't have one. All of the recipes are by weight, which when baking is the best way to get accurate repetable results every time.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Looks really tasty.
That would make a great bread bowl for a spinach dip, or clam chowder if it’s dense enough.
Would work well for dips or chowders. Would need to make smaller loafs for chowder though. 1/8ths would probably be good.

Omnivore

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 11, 2019
I love that book! Agree that the book as a whole is a must for all the great techniques and explanations. Your bread looks great!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.