Sunday sausage making -- beef pub bangers and bratwurst (UPDATED)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snorkelinggirl

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 15, 2012
Hi guys,

It has been a while since I've posted any Q-view, so I thought I'd better post my sausage project from today just to prove that I'm still around and cookin'.  Today's project was beef pub bangers and bratwurst sausage. 

I used the beef pub banger recipe from the book "Home Sausage Making" except modified the seasonings some.

4 lbs beef chuck roast
1/2 lb pork fat back
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
5 tsp kosher salt (25 grams)
2 tsp freshly ground pepper, medium grind
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or additional to taste
1/4 tsp ground mace
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or additional to taste
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg yolks, beaten
4 oz ice cold water

Here is the chuck and fat ready for the grinder....

After the first grind through the fine plate.....

I mixed in the rest of the ingredients using a wooden spoon, then ran them all through the fine plate again...

Mixed by hand until tacky, then loaded the stuffer...

I used medium hog casings from a company called Eastman Outdoors (bought through amazon.com). The casings are pretty variable in size, so I might try a different brand next time.  Here we are all linked up...

For the bratwurst I slightly adapted a recipe I found on a website called "lets-make-sausage.com". 

3 lbs pork butt
1 lb veal or beef
1 lb pork back fat
5 tsp kosher salt (25 grams)
1 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground mace
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
1 cup cold milk or half and half
2 whole eggs, beaten
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder

I used the same process as with the pub bangers, except I ran the meat/fat through the fine plate twice before mixing in the rest of the ingredients (except the dry milk powder). I had planned to run the mixture through the grinder a 3rd time as a cheaty way of getting around the mixing step for emulsified sausages, but it was so tacky from the eggs and milk that it was too big a pain to do. So about half ended up going through the grinder a 3rd time, and the other half just twice through the grinder. I then mixed the nonfat dry milk powder in by hand.

I only have a little Cuisinart food processor, not a KA standing mixer, so I decided to skip the mixing step that would have given a really nice and smooth texture. So I'm just calling this "rustic" bratwurst.  I love the term "rustic".  Covers all manner of half-assedness.

Here we are after the second grind mixing in the other ingredients...

After stuffing...

And after linking....

This project took most of the day, including clean up. But I ended up with 14 packages of sausage that I put in the freezer, so I'm pretty pleased with the day's work. Hopefully I'll get faster with more experience.

And, Oh!  I don't remember which thread it was, or who the poster was (Kevin maybe?), but somebody made the suggestion to put vegetable oil on the stuffer piston gasket to make the stuffer handle easier to turn.  I did that today, and it made a world of difference. The stuffer was much easier to work by myself, and saved me from at least 1 additional blister.  To whoever that was, a really big thank you!!!!

Thanks for looking!

Clarissa

Last edited:
Looks great Clarissa.................................. Its always good to keep a spray can of PAM to lube the o ring and cylinder before stuffing

Reactions: snorkelinggirl
Awesome work! I've got to try that beefy banger recipe. Would love to see some cooked shots. Do you smoke the bangers?
Hi Mickey Jay,

I've never tried smoking them, but if you added some cure #1 to the recipe I'm sure they would be great that way. We usually just have them British-style with mashed potatoes or root vegetables (mashed carrots, parsnips, and rutabagas). I'll post a picture after cooking.  Thanks for looking and the compliment!

Clarissa

Looks great Clarissa.................................. Its always good to keep a spray can of PAM to lube the o ring and cylinder before stuffing
Hi boykjo,

Thank you very much for the compliment and the advice.  I couldn't believe how much easier lubricating the o ring made things, so I'll definitely try your suggestion of lubricating the cylinder as well next time. Thanks very much!

Clarissa

you do wonderfull work with the sausage. i'll have to try those recipies. i like making small batches myself. i am also one of those who spray the vegi oil. i spray inside the stuffer, inside the stuffing tube [and outside]. makes for easier stuffing and cleaning. Reinhard

2thumbs.gif
  Sausage looks great! Enjoy!

Just a thought..... if your interested.

I have not seen in any post that shows the stuffer anchored to the counter top. When I stuff sausage, I'm doing it alone.  So, I screwed a board a couple of inches bigger than the base of the stuffer and use 2 woodworkers clamps to anchor everything down to a corner of my counter. I bought my clamps at sears.........the type that have a hard rubber jaw and will not harm kitchen countertops.

Clarissa....those look amazing.  Good Job!  I have the Home Sausage book too.  Reading thru it right now.

I gotta get geared on doing this too!

Kat

Just a thought..... if your interested.

I have not seen in any post that shows the stuffer anchored to the counter top. When I stuff sausage, I'm doing it alone.  So, I screwed a board a couple of inches bigger than the base of the stuffer and use 2 woodworkers clamps to anchor everything down to a corner of my counter. I bought my clamps at sears.........the type that have a hard rubber jaw and will not harm kitchen countertops.
Hi fire,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I hadn't realized clamps came with a rubber jaw...I'll try and find a pair of those. I'd been putting some cardboard between my clamp and the countertop to protect it, but your suggestion sounds much cleaner. I appreciate it!

Clarissa

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the compliments. Mickey Jay had requested a cooked shot of the beefy pub bangers, so here it is along with some mustard, homemade pickle relish, and local brussel sprouts.  Thanks again for looking!

Clarissa

Clarissa - those look great!!! I bet they would be good with some mashed smoked cauliflower, or some homemade kraut!
Hey Case,

Thanks for checking out my post and the compliment. Great suggestions on the side dishes!  I definitely want to give that smoked cauliflower recipe a try, and I've got the kraut tutorial bookmarked but haven't looked through it yet.   Have a great day!

Clarissa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky