• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

summer sausage

tyotrain

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 31, 2010
I would like to make my own smoked summer sausage everything i am reading says to hang it in the smoker. i have a offset smoker so i can't hang it in there as anyone just laid them on the grates and done it that way?

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I would like to make my own smoked summer sausage everything i am reading says to hang it in the smoker. i have a offset smoker so i can't hang it in there as anyone just laid them on the grates and done it that way?
I made mine unstuffed (no casings), and just laid them on my shelves. You couldn't hang unstuffed ones any place. They were GREAT. I find them to have a very good smokey taste, because they were not in casings. I'm not putting down anything in casings, but I am a "Smoke Hound"---I need it to be real smokey, and I do not use liquid smoke.

Bearcarver

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Now you will be fine just laying down your sausage. I have a smoker but you don't need to hang it up.

princess

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 28, 2010
It has been my experience that hanging is mostly just for looks. A laid down sausage in a casing may develop stripes from your grates. Unless you're selling it, no one will care, as it doesn't affect the taste.

-Princess

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks