Summer Sausage - Vension & Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokenharley

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Lancaster Co., PA
Time for some summer sausage. Maybe it would be more appropriately called Winter or Spring sausage given the time of the year. I haven't made this in a few years so with my venison party coming up in about a month I thought I would make a ten pound batch.

Here is the mix with added high temp cheddar cheese. I generally make the mix a day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Just before I stuff, I mix in the cheese. This recipe is 60% venison and 40% ground pork shoulder. I have made it in the past with a 70%/30% mix and though it was good, it was a little on the dry side. Changing the mix gave it a much more pleasing texture and I noticed no change in flavor.

IMG_2684.JPG

Stuffed into 61mm casings and ready for the smoker.

IMG_2686.JPG

In the smoker waiting for me to fire up the A-maze-N pellet tray. I usually use my vertical smoker because I can hang them rather than my Traeger where I would need to lay them on racks. I'm sure it would work OK to lay them since that is how I do my snack sticks but these guys are quite a bit thicker: 19mm vs 61mm.

IMG_2688.JPG

Half-way through the smoke. The temperature climbed to a balmy 42 degrees by 11 AM.

IMG_2690.JPG

Hit 155 and out of the smoker...

IMG_2692.JPG

On the cooling racks - can hardly wait to slice one.

IMG_2694.JPG

Cooled and ready to eat.

IMG_2697.JPG

I gave the taste tester (my wife) a slice and she gave me the thumbs up. So, I made her a snack plate.

IMG_2700.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the post.

Looks awesome

Time for some summer sausage. Maybe it would be more appropriately called Winter or Spring sausage given the time of the year. I haven't made this in a few years so with my venison party coming up in about a month I thought I would make a ten pound batch.

Here is the mix with added high temp cheddar cheese. I generally make the mix a day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Just before I stuff, I mix in the cheese. This recipe is 60% venison and 40% ground pork shoulder. I have made it in the past with a 70%/30% mix and though it was good, it was a little on the dry side. Changing the mix gave it a much more pleasing texture and I noticed no change in flavor.

View attachment 390197
Stuffed into 61mm casings and ready for the smoker.

View attachment 390198
In the smoker waiting for me to fire up the A-maze-N pellet tray. I usually use my vertical smoker because I can hang them rather than my Traeger where I would need to lay them on racks. I'm sure it would work OK to lay them since that is how I do my snack sticks but these guys are quite a bit thicker: 19mm vs 61mm.

View attachment 390199
Half-way through the smoke. The temperature climbed to a balmy 42 degrees by 11 AM.

View attachment 390200
Hit 155 and out of the smoker...

View attachment 390201
On the cooling racks - can hardly wait to slice one.

View attachment 390202
Cooled and ready to eat.

View attachment 390203
I gave the taste tester (my wife) a slice and she gave me the thumbs up. So, I made her a snack plate.

View attachment 390204

Hope you enjoyed the post.
looks good what spices or seasonings did you use

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky