Summer Sausage Queston?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrangler95

Original poster
Dec 28, 2016
I am fairly new to sausage making and need some advice from you experienced sausage makers.I made some summer sausage last year that taste good but when I would get a stick from the freezer and cut it and then put it in the refridgerator,there would be a mold on the cases in a few days.Does anyone know what caused this and after I stuff the casings do I need to stick them to let out air?Thanks for your advice a head of time!

I am fairly new to sausage making and need some advice from you experienced sausage makers.I made some summer sausage last year that taste good but when I would get a stick from the freezer and cut it and then put it in the refridgerator,there would be a mold on the cases in a few days.Does anyone know what caused this and after I stuff the casings do I need to stick them to let out air?Thanks for your advice a head of time!

Before freezing, remove the casing and vacuum pack if possible. Then, when you defrost a stick and finish eating what you want, vac pack again for frig storage. If you're going to get into the bag a few times before it's gone, make the bag longer so you can reseal after each use.

We cut the SS into quarters and vac pack each quarter. We usually eat that much at once.

I also make smaller packs of sliced. Usually 8-10 slices to a pack. These are great for hikes or quick snacks.

I don't stick them after stuffing. I do hang them to bloom up to 24 hours prior to smoking. Usually in my garage if the temp is low enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky