Summer sausage question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
SH, Try to stay at 170 or below as the higher temp will cause fat out issues. Low and slow is the way to go. I also use the sausage maker mixes with good results and also buy fermento from them to give my SS a lil extra tang. PS yes the pricking comes right after the stuffing to remove the BIG air pockets.

Thanks, that's what I'll do. It might even mean we're getting take out pizza because the oven is occupied! I've heard about Fermento. How much would add to a 5 pound batch of sausage?

SH, Also your cool down should be as quick as posible to get to 110-120 so the meat stops cooking. Your bloom/rest should last several hours and the SS will plump up a bit.

Thanks, that's what I'll do. It might even mean we're getting take out pizza because the oven is occupied! I've heard about Fermento. How much would add to a 5 pound batch of sausage?
SH, The directions say 1 ounce per 2 pounds of meat, my notes say I added 5 ounces to 20 pounds last batch, maybe I'll jack it up next time ?

Excellent way to do it , I have a deep sink where I add ice and water for the same results. Maybe the cooler would be better for me next batch !
Easier to clean then the sink I suspect and no fat going down the drain from what comes off. I just dump it out behind the pine trees in the yard and then fill it up with dawn and water and let it sit in the sun for a day and scrub down and dump it out in the same spot. Also I can just go straight from smoker to the cooler next to me <And when you got a 90 pound dog who thinks she isn't and smells some thing..well. You get to play the hyper dog game inside!>

Ok, thanks. I'll be getting some Fermento for my next batch with those guide lines. How did it taste with the amount you used? My next batch I make will be pepperoni. That should go well with it. I'm planning on using a ice bath in my sink to get them cooled down. Then rest on the counter till they are around 75 or so. Then in the fridge until I can test tomorrow.

SH, You have a good plan there. My SS tasted tangy with the amount I used but I may try more next time. The 1 ounce per 2 pound instructions are right on the container from TSM.Not sure why I used 5 ounces only but I've done several 20 # batches that way . I probably was leary the first time I added it so went light and never read the directions again but used my notes instead. I also add some high temp cheese to the mix.

Ok, thanks. I'll be getting some Fermento for my next batch with those guide lines. How did it taste with the amount you used? My next batch I make will be pepperoni. That should go well with it. I'm planning on using a ice bath in my sink to get them cooled down. Then rest on the counter till they are around 75 or so. Then in the fridge until I can test tomorrow.
Heck they never make it to my fridge before some form of testing occurs... I always form a mini loaf with the scraps that gets smoked and my Thermal probe sits in, toss that in the ice bath as well, let it bloom and then we munch on that to taste it ;)

Heck they never make it to my fridge before some form of testing occurs... I always form a mini loaf with the scraps that gets smoked and my Thermal probe sits in, toss that in the ice bath as well, let it bloom and then we munch on that to taste it ;)

I should have done that. I had about 1/4 pound left that I chucked. That was dumb of me. Next time I'll do that. Thanks for the idea.

I should have done that. I had about 1/4 pound left that I chucked. That was dumb of me. Next time I'll do that. Thanks for the idea.
I normally do as well and don't do a fry test normally. <Sort of pointless to do so after every thing got into casings>. I figure when the loaf reads 150-155f, the tubes are done and normally are. Sides like I said..post smoker snack ;) normally the mini loaf ends up my supper because I'm tired of all things food related after monitoring a smoker for 8 hours !

Reactions: Steve H
SH, All your excess meat( left in the stuffer and tube) can be stuffed into your last fibrous casing by hand IF you have room left , pack and twist it tight before adding the hog ring.

SH, All your excess meat( left in the stuffer and tube) can be stuffed into your last fibrous casing by hand IF you have room left , pack and twist it tight before adding the hog ring.

There was no room left. I could have put it in the fridge while I got another casing ready. Or just fried it to check the taste. Oh well. Live and learn.

Alot of times what I got left over wouldn't even fill 1/2 the casing, thus why I do the mini loaf!

Reactions: Steve H
Wow, just shy of 21 hours. And the SS are at 149! They look and smell great though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky