1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Summer sausage question

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by Steve H, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

So, I'm doing the Sausage makers 3" beef summer sausage kit. The instructions states it will take around 8 hours at 170 degrees to hit 152 IT. Kind of wondering about this. I'm holding a solid 170 degrees ambient right where the sausage is. At 3 hours the sausage is at 112 degrees. So, unless I'm going to see a stall with the IT. This will be done far sooner then claimed. Thoughts?

2. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Did you start at 170 ? I start at 130 , then bump temp 10 degrees per hour to get to 170 .

3. Steve H

I did 130ish for 30 minutes per instructions. Then a hour at 150, then after a hour 160 to 170. I'm sure it's fine. Just weird that the the instructions said it would take so long. Perhaps it'll stall, who knows? Either way. I'll be snacking tomorrow!

4. Steve H

I think I'll be ok.

5. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Yeah you got it . I did sticks yesterday. Had to push the heat to get them past , 145 . About 5 hours total .

6. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I think I'd like a sample.
    Could you send me a pdf I could print out to taste, Steve? :confused:o_O

Waterville Jesse and Steve H like this.
  7. mike243

mike243 Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I set mine at170 and let rip, not sure if the could have been any better honestly

8. Steve H

My next purchase, if I can, will be a MES. The propane smoker just doesn't play nice at times with low smoke started spiking at 185-190. I just put the sausages in my oven at 170. I see I have a few voids between the casing and sausage. Guessing this is normal.

DSCN3713.JPG

9. Makes me want to do sausage

Steve H likes this.
  10. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit

If you get the MES, get the AMNPS too. MES won't make smoke at the low temps..and I read commercial mix instructions on sausage before and it just said 'Put it in at 180f until 145f internal'. I didn't do that. I except it might have been okay, but it sure sounded like a way to fat out the sausage. I think alot of the commercial instructions are aimed at ovens, and just covering their own butts for safety reasons.

Also- let us know if the flavour is spot on. I'm making a list of seasoning mixes to order off Sausage Maker. Right now I got smoked pepperoni on it..

11. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

SH, I have had 3 inch x 24 inch SS take 15-18 hours at 170 so it might go slower than you think ! :) PS the spots you are seeing are from air, a cheap sausage pricker will help on your next batch. Looking good !

12. Steve H

I have a AMNPS, love that thing! I'll let you all know in regards to the flavor.

13. TomKnollRFV

I picked up some cheapo seasoning from fleet farm, and it was good. At times I really feel making my own seasoning blend isn't worth it after I go and hunt down weird spices. Pay 8 bucks for some thing I use half a teaspoon of.. lol.

crazymoon likes this.
  14. Steve H

I'm seeing that now. It has only gone up 7 degrees in the last two hours. I pricked them with the gizmo I got from Sausage maker. Perhaps I didn't prick them enough?

15. TomKnollRFV

I wouldn't poke holes in them now. And I've had sausage take forever too. The highest I'll go is 190f on sausage <and then when it is meant to end up cooked any how>. At that point though the form can look horrid.

16. crazymoon

SH, If you pricked them you are good , probably just a bit understuffed. I once over pricked some SS and fat leaked out everywhere so you are good and you'll love the end result ! keep us posted !

Steve H likes this.
  17. Steve H

You know, right? When I started out I probably spent 200.00 on spices. Then told the wife that this is all I need. Still hearing about that every time I toss another spice in the cart! Sausage Makers get very good reviews with their spices they sell on their site. Price isn't bad either as long as you go over 50.00 to get free shipping.

18. Steve H

No, I wasn't going to prick them some more now. I heard that isn't a good idea. I was thinking about bumping the temp to 180. Just wasn't sure if it would cause a issue.

19. TomKnollRFV

The family doesn't overly mind my spending a twenty here or there on rarer spices. Especially since they all like having the stuff around, but it annoys me! It makes sense for SM to be cheaper though; bulk production. Around me, half the spices for sausage making I can't find any thing but these ultra expensive gold label organic gourmet lines. So I have to spend like 7 bucks on fennel seed, because a generic version just plain doesn't exist!

Steve H likes this.
  20. crazymoon

SH, Try to stay at 170 or below as the higher temp will cause fat out issues. Low and slow is the way to go. I also use the sausage maker mixes with good results and also buy fermento from them to give my SS a lil extra tang. PS yes the pricking comes right after the stuffing to remove the BIG air pockets.