Summer Sausage Moisture Loss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gstein

Original poster
Mar 10, 2017
Does anyone have thoughts on how much weight/moisture loss I should target for fast fermented summer sausages.  A lot of these books talk about aw but I can't measure that and I figured that I can measure total moisture lost by weighting before and after but I don't know what to shoot for.  

This is helpful, thanks. Really I am doing this same thing. I was just interested in if people weight the sausage before and after and target a certain weight loss.

Are you going for a true fermented SS and using bactoferm or something like it? Do you want shelf stable or will you refrigerate? These will play a part as well.

Yes,I plan on using bacteria and fermenting. And yes, I'm hoping it to be shelf stable. I've had success before but I'm trying to get more precise.

Yes,I plan on using bacteria and fermenting. And yes, I'm hoping it to be shelf stable. I've had success before but I'm trying to get more precise.

I haven't forgotten about you, I'm trying to find a definitive answer. I all of my books, I see "until desired weight loss is obtained/achieved".

I have a call in to my uncle who is the SS guru for the family.

I don't have the answer.

NEPAS would know.  Hopfully he sees this.

What Bactoferm are you using?

Fast fermenation can be achieved in 2-3 days then you will need to dry it some at a loss between 20-30%

Remember, that drying is a slow controlled process, the humidity and temp are important. I use a chart and keep track of all the pertinent info. Starting with the green weight. I will check the weight every couple days until the desired loss is achieved, that can be anywhere from 30% to 50% depending on the type sausage. A good gram scale is recommended. I usually shoot for about 30% on most summer sausage. The drier it becomes----the more shelf stable, but the quality begins to suffer------you can dry it till it feels like shoe leather, but you better have some good teeth
drool.gif

If you are drying a bunch of sausages---mark a couple of them and use them as your controls, it's much easier then pulling them all out and weighing them every couple days.

Blaise

How critical is the temp and humidity if I keep  the SS in the fermentation chamber longer than 24 hours?  I'm going to use F-LC, 10 lbs of beef in 2 1/4" fiber casings.  I can hit 85 - 87 F and 85%

humidity pretty consistently, along with a small fan that circulates the air.  Will I need to lower the temp and humidity if I want to keep it in there an extra couple days to go for a drier sausage?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky