Summer sausage left at room temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ironhorse07

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 17, 2012
Laurel, Mt (near Billings)
Maybe you curing experts could give me a hand. I made some quick 1 lb. summer sausage chubs and smoked cheese for family this Christmas, 85/15 gb, Leggs mix, cure added, stuffed, smoked and vacuum packed. Now my nephew asked me last  night if needs to be refrigerated, yes it should I said, he said it had been left on the counter in the gift bag all week. I have been searching around and can't find the answer if this would still be edible. I am not sure how the nitrite breakdown is affected by the vacuum packing. I think it should be fine but just to make sure, and maybe get enlightened some....

Thanks,

Doug

Should not be an issue if an IT above 150 was attained. Mail order, Figi's, Harry and David, ship summer sausage without ice...JJ

Last edited:
yep you should be fine I did Snack sticks for a buddy last yr same set up as yours and he left them on the counter week or better,,,said had a little mold on the outside but he just wiped the mold off and I am making him another batch today,,,Never got sick one bit 

DS,,,,BTW I chewed his but about it and now they go straight to the fridge 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky