summer sausage how much smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fosterdave37

Original poster
Jan 13, 2017
Making my first batch of summer sausage. I have my temps and times down for the most part .Wondering how much smoke to put to it?

30" masterbuilt smoker
20 lbs of sausage
using pecan chips
I like smoke but not too much smoke

first hour drying the casing then start uping the temps and then how many hours of smoke?

thanks for any help

I run smoke the whole time . If I use a 12 " tube I use the mail box . If I use the six , I'll put it inside .
MES 30 . I don't do more than 10 lbs. at a time .

I run smoke the whole time . If I use a 12 " tube I use the mail box . If I use the six , I'll put it inside .
MES 30 . I don't do more than 10 lbs. at a time .
yeah got a little ambitious doing 20 lbs we will see how it goes Thanks

I usually go 10-12 hours of smoke on my sausage too. Just make sure the smoke is light & not white & thick.
Al

Part of the answer is your personal preference for flavor. Since you state you prefer light smoke you can always cut off he smoke at any point and just continue to cook.

Last edited:
I don't use a MES.
I mostly use my stick and charcoal smokers so the fuel adds a lot of smoke flavor without having to add more than 1-3 hours of extra flavor.
As SmokinAl SmokinAl posted keep it thin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky