Summer Sausage help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkc64

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 7, 2011
Portland, TN.
I use the methods I have learned here for trying to make sausage. The few times I have done summer sausage the chubs come out wrinkled up. The sausage tastes good just looks bad. I know the taste is what counts but I would like them to look nice to gift. I start at 120 for a couple of hours then add smoke and bump 10 every hour till smoker hits 170 and let them ride out to 152 it. MES 30 with an Auber PID. Forgot to mention it takes about 18 hours to reach 152 it.
ss 2-22 1.jpg
ss 2-22 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed it for ya. You dont like wrinkled look? I like it. The meat looks good.

Fixed it for ya. You dont like wrinkled look? I like it. The meat looks good.
Most of the posts I see here are nice looking smooth round chubs. Thought I might be doing something wrong. And I don't think I've seen anyone stating 18 hours to finish.

Heres one. LOL He used bags not casings thou

You can vacuum seal the chubs. This will help equalize moisture and lessen the wrinkles just a bit. Give it a couple weeks.

I use the methods I have learned here for trying to make sausage. The few times I have done summer sausage the chubs come out wrinkled up. The sausage tastes good just looks bad. I know the taste is what counts but I would like them to look nice to gift. I start at 120 for a couple of hours then add smoke and bump 10 every hour till smoker hits 170 and let them ride out to 152 it. MES 30 with an Auber PID. Forgot to mention it takes about 18 hours to reach 152 it.
View attachment 486538View attachment 486539
Tell them this is the "new rustic look" I still cannot turn out nice and smooth either. Anyway, you remove the skin and you have a beautiful piece of sausage sitting in your hands. Oh yea, as my German resturant friend Adolf tells me .... DO IT AGAIN! (or if Italian - DO OVER) LOL! 🍻

I guess if the taste is there no one will remember what it looked like.

That's beautiful !!!! what's the problem ???
Old style stuff made by the Amish here is wrinkled. Dont worry about it. I make snack sticks wrinkled. I like the looks of it.

Thank you, I just thought with the long cook time I might be doing something wrong. It does taste good. I need to break out the cheese and crackers.

Reactions: daveomak
It was like that right out of the smoker. I thought the 18 hour cook might have caused it.
Hmmm, Then I don't know. I used to finish in a Nesco roaster hot water bath, now I use my sous vide circulator because it is accurate at lower temps. These chubs have smoked about 12 hours and ready for the SV.
LCM5RvF.jpg

You can vacuum seal the chubs. This will help equalize moisture and lessen the wrinkles just a bit. Give it a couple weeks.

Hah, two days drying in the paper bag was my limit on patience. They will be gone in a couple of weeks or less.

Yeah with farmer.

The old order Amish have wrinkled SS. I think it looks great.

If you want a more round uniform SS add some binder like carrot binder, SPC or isolate.

If you have a SV you can put in zip lock bag.
Pull your chubs from smoker around an IT of 145-47 and SV at a temp of 160. The SV will slow the wrinkling.
Do an imersion vac on them. Leave a small open on the zip lock, push the bagged chub in the water just below the zip then seal it up and continue SV, this way you dont use all your vac bags up.

As long as it tastes good I will be fine with wrinkled sausage, just thought I might be doing something wrong. I used Owens Garlic and it is good but I like a stronger flavor in my sausage. I think I'll add about 10% more than the recommended seasoning next time and see how that goes.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Yep, some like wrinkled but I don't. I agree with you the long smoke time did it. IMO what is happening is long smoke times the exterior dries a little too much and slows the interior temp to rising as fast as it should. For me the remedy was an overnight rest at room temp prior to smoking. Also, I don't hold at 120F a few hours like many do and just start bumping 10F every hour. I actually think the sausage picks up more flavor this way, but cannot explain why. Agree as mentioned an ice bath is also necessary or winter cold Ohio water bath LOL. I vac seal right off the smoker and throw into the bath.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky