Summer Sausage help?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TX_Horn

Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
I made 10 lbs of summer sausage and was not thrilled with the results, should have made a small test batch first but oh well. Here's the recipe I used:

3.5 lbs of ground venison
1¼ cups of water
1 teaspoon of instacure #1
3 tablespoons of non-fat dry milk
2 tablespoons of coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 tablespoon of mustard seed
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons of onion powder
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
2/3rds cup of finely chopped jalapeño
1 cup of high temp cheddar cheese (optional)
1 – 2½”x20″ fibrous casing

After mixing, it sat overnight and I put it in the oven at 170 until the meat hit 155. First thing I noticed was a lot of grease, when I stuck the probe into one of the casings grease ran out of the hole. I'm assuming that is what people refer to as "fat out." Flavor was fine but didn't seem to taste like "summer sausage" and it had an almost mushy texture. One thing I noticed about this recipe is that aside from the dry milk there is really nothing different about this than regular link sausage, I've read recipes that have dextrose, or buttermilk to promote fermenting, is that what gives summer sausage that flavor? I didn't do it this go around because I really have no idea how that works and I'm always afraid to make something that will get someone sick. Any help would be great, I've got plenty of venison and would like to give it another go.

I like 10% fat with summer sausage. Try to use recently frozen venison or fresh venison. Stay away from venison that has freezer burn. I woud do a test run with a small chub of 90/10 ground sirloin and see if you get better results.
When adding water, try to add a little at a time till the meat and seasoning mix and becomes tacky.

Boykjo

I'm sorry I meant to put that in, I used 80% lean venison and 20% pork back fat.

I usually start my SS at 140 degrees and gradually ramp it up to 170 degrees. When it hits 155 degrees I let it set in cold water for around 40 minutes. Your recipe is similar to what I use. I've never had a problem.

a couple of concerns I have...

you say 3.5 lbs of ground venison... that's all ?? the title says 10 lbs ...

your recipe says 1 teaspoon of cure #1.. that is for only 5 lbs ... should be 2 teaspoons (level) for 10 lbs ...

also the NFPM (non fat powdered milk) I use 1/2 cup per 5lbs... normally calls for a whole cup per 5 lbs... but I tend to cut that back ...

cooking temps... this is mainly where the problems occurred... you should start at a much lower temp (120`) for an hour or so... then ramp temps up 10` every hour until finally reaching the 170` mark and cooking there until an IT of 153` ...

So yes.. I would say you had "fat out" for this cook ...

The recipe calls for 3.5 lbs but I upped the recipe to make 10 lbs total. Sorry for the confusion. I had an MES smoker that caught fire on the inside due to a short with the heating element, never have fixed it so I've been doing all my smoking on a pit which is hard to keep at low temperatures, but I think my oven ran too hot, I didn't think 170 would be hot enough to fat out?

If I'm not mistaken, the traditional tang from summer sausage can be achieved with encapsulated citric acid! Check out Meatgistics at Waltons Inc.

TX

Try a lower heat at the start like 130 or 140 and ramp up from there. Try not to exceed a smoker temp of 165. 170 only if needed. Your cure for 10 lbs should be like Kieth stated @ 2 level tsp. Your salt is a bit low for 10 lbs.

Keep it up, you will get it down.

Hello, I've actually done the same thing as what he's explained above. Too high of heat. Is there a way that I can still dry out the SS afterwards?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky