Summer sausage gone bad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jkoenning87

Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Winchester, TX
So I made my first ever batch of summer sausage with a proven good recipe from a friend of mine. The only thing I changed was instead of using liquid smoke I decided to smoke it myself.
Minus a 15 min window where the temps jumped to 250 degrees, the smoking went well. Kept it between 190-210 for about 4 hours using only oak wood.
The problem is my links taste bitter and like plastic. Do you think it was because of the brief temperature spike or am I overlooking something?

Thanks for your help.

Your start heat is way to high. Start around 130-140 and bump temps up every couple hours to 165/170. Bitter taste is from the high heat and smoke combined. Plastic? what casings did you use.

Agreed with all above. Also, can you tell what recipe did you use for you SS?
Your start heat is way to high. Start around 130-140 and bump temps up every couple hours to 165/170. Bitter taste is from the high heat and smoke combined. Plastic? what casings did you use.

Attachments

• C4EBDAC6-2D41-4375-B24E-EE780EDF18CA.png
    C4EBDAC6-2D41-4375-B24E-EE780EDF18CA.png
    407.1 KB · Views: 45

Not sure about the casings. I was supposed to make it with my friend and our schedules never lined up so he gave me the casings they use. Dark brown and came tied on one end. Looked up some instructions after posting, I did not soak the casings first so that might be it as well.

Not sure about the casings. I was supposed to make it with my friend and our schedules never lined up so he gave me the casings they use. Dark brown and came tied on one end. Looked up some instructions after posting, I did not soak the casings first so that might be it as well.
Yeah fibrous and synthetic SS casings need to be soaked.

That recipe has the wrong amount of Morton's tender quick . That's not what caused your problem , but the 1 TBLS per pound is for whole muscle meat .
The amount for ground meat is 1 1/2 tsp per pound .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky